Input 1 & 2 Footswitch for an Original Mark 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mb1pre.gif

If you short input 2, the entire preamp signal stops. It needs to be on all the time. Shorting Input 1 is basically completing the second circuit. So basically, Input 2 needs to be on all the time and input 1 needs to have a circuit breaker to pull it in and out of the circuit. So your Com would be wired to Input 2 normally and always on and your output to Input 1 would be the circuit breaker to engage/disengage the Input 1 circuit.

Boogiebabies said:
If you short input 2, the entire preamp signal stops.

Exactly ... :idea:

So my questions:
- Is the easiest way to deal with this ... buy the Mesa pedal?
- Does the Mesa pedal avoid grounding input 2 ?
- Any schematics of that pedal available anywhere?

I would hate to order the Mesa pedal and have it do the exact same thing as the Boss LS-2. :(

Ken,

Wire the com input directly to the first output, or the output for input 2. On the second output, just use a spdt between the tip and sleeve to get the circuit make/break. It's basically com straight to the # 2 input and and a single button footswitch to complete the input 1 circuit via the shorting/contact of the cable in the jack. To check this out, run your guitar into input 2 and stick a shorted 1/4 inch jack into input 1. If it works, all you really need is a single button shorting footswitch.

When you say "com" you mean both tip and ground?

I think I understand ... apologize for being a bit dense. :?

On the SPDT 1st switch setting:
- Tip and ground pass through to input 2

TIP GRND (In From Guitar)
.\/.........\/
TIP GRND (Signal Out To Input 2)>>>>>>>AMP INPUT-2

open open

TIP GRND (No Signal Out To Input 1)

Then the Signal is going to Input 2 Only

On the SPDT 2nd switch setting:
- Tip and ground pass through to input 2
- When switch thrown both tip and ground are connected

TIP GRND (In From Guitar)
.\/.........\/
TIP GRND (Signal Out To Input 2)>>>>>>>AMP INPUT-2
.\/.........\/
closed closed
.\/.........\/
TIP GRND (Signal Out To Input 1)>>>>>>>AMP INPUT-1

Then a signal is going to BOTH input 1 & 2

To check this out, run your guitar into input 2 and stick a shorted 1/4 inch jack into input 1. If it works, all you really need is a single button shorting footswitch. This will prove that the COM or common input is simply straight wired and the A output and that B is a simple shorting switch.

It does ... from an earlier post of mine:

"I have a set of those planet waves cables that you can touch a button and short the circuit. If I run through INPUT-1 and insert the cord in INPUT-2, it still works but as soon as I close the circuit on the cord on INPUT-2 ... INPUT-1 goes silent. I think the Mesa pedal must NOT ground INPUT-2 when it's not in use. Possible?"

Well ... I guess I figured it out. BUT I was hoping to leave the TS9/Input2 going and switch between the NORMAL Input-1 setup with one click. So I think the TS9 would always be in the mix unless I turn it off too.

Might just stick with the "no pedals" setup I've been using for a quarter of a century. Except for a tuner. :?

But the LS-2 would make a great two amp ... even three amp switch if I ever want to mix it up that way. Also, the LS-2 has a really good cut/boost volume setup that doesn't change the tone. I wasjust trying to do it all in one amp with one click ... probably not possible. But the TS9 through the Input-2 is an interesting sound.

Thanks anyway for the help guys. :D

Anybody got a schematic of the original Mark 1 Channel 1/2 footswitch? It was a simple footswitch but wired a bit different than a regular A/B switch.

I think they still sell them but I'm thinking about this old project again.

Why don't you try and use the switchable "Gain Boost" instead of an A/B box?

I want to run a clean gain boost on the 2nd channel, but need the switcher to set it up. Like this:

guitar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Input 1 (All gain stacks)

OR

guitar >>> clean boost >>> Input 2 (minus the first gain stack)

Reopening this project from last year ... my thought was: Use the initial foot pedal designed back in the 70s to set it up and insert the clean boost as a replacement for the first boogie gain stage. This will level out the two signals which was the problem initially with this design.

I have a Boss LS2 A/B switcher but it doesn't work on the boogie because there is a ground issue when you plug both the A/B channels into inputs 1/2. Both channels don't function when both channels have connectors inserted.

I want to study the wiring of the switch if I can get the schematic. I think I might be able to figure out a way to do this if I can see how they did it originally. Somebody's got to have one of these schematics somewhere. :D

I know im late to the party but the EH Nano switchblade will do switch between input 1 and 2 no problem.
its cheaper than the mesa switch too.
dd

drunkdolphin said:
I know im late to the party but the EH Nano switchblade will do switch between input 1 and 2 no problem.
its cheaper than the mesa switch too.
dd

Will it do it with the original Mark 1 though? A regular A/B switch (like my Boss LS2) does not work. I got the LS2 thinking a regular A/B switch would do the job. I can easily build what I need ... if I can just get a look at the schematic.

I might be able to adjust the auto ground tab that I think is on the input 2. I think they put that in there to disable input 1 when input two has a jack in it ... to reduce input 1 noise. But I'd like to study the original switch to be sure. Might be as simple as replacing one of the input jacks on the boogie and use the LS2 that I have.

yes,
the inputs are almost, if not identical on the ri and the original.
i picked one of the Eh pedals up for 35.00 and it worked fine.

drunkdolphin said:
yes,
the inputs are almost, if not identical on the ri and the original.
i picked one of the Eh pedals up for 35.00 and it worked fine.

I looked at it on the website and it's described as an A OR B switch. I have an A OR B that just doesn't work with my model. I think the original Mesa switch may have been an A OR A+B switch. I think if I bought this one, I'd have two that don't work. I may try to find one in a store and take the amp with me.

Latest posts

Back