Initial impressions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
Just got my deuce II head tonight, and it needs the eq for sure with only a slight scoop. tite gain channel with the strat using cruisers in the neck it sounds really good! More late, off to worship team practice with it. By the way, are the red plastic tube protectors for travel only? ... Never seen em before.

Take them off before you play. They could melt. They're there for protection during shipping.

I figured as much,.. so this amp loves my Strat,. killer Timmons and Lincoln Brewster type blues stuff. The Music man JP however, needs some extra drive that even the bb pre will not give. Any suggestions out there in the way of a high gain OD/boost for the MM JP. Some thing that would work with the stilleto's tite gain channel (not in place of it). First night with it!

I play everything from metal to classic and could never imagine needing anything more than a simple boost and maybe an EQ for this amp, and that's just for playing some real modern heavy stuff. Did I mention I also use low output pickups? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of distortion you're looking for.

cragginshred said:
I figured as much,.. so this amp loves my Strat,. killer Timmons and Lincoln Brewster type blues stuff. The Music man JP however, needs some extra drive that even the bb pre will not give. Any suggestions out there in the way of a high gain OD/boost for the MM JP. Some thing that would work with the stilleto's tite gain channel (not in place of it). First night with it!

Sounds like we listen to similar music! 8)

Only spent 1 night with it, so the JP axe needs to be dialed in. With the eq, and channel two set at: master 11 presence 9, Bass 1, mid and treble at 10 or 11, and channel gain at 1:30 or two it rocks with a perfect harmonic complexity (no unwanted highs or harshness at all).Normally I would push the channel harder for the tone, but this amp seems to deliver the better tones below 11 on the channel and drive the master more. I played with the worship team last night in a hall that holds 700 people and at these setting (mic'd through the PA too) it was excellent in in no way too bright. Vary the setting by bringing up the treble and presence does immediately bring out the harshness described by others. My guess as to why there are a handful of Stiletto haters out there is due to many Mesa users are so conditioned to that nasally grind tone the rectos are known for they cannot makes this amp be a happy medium they wished it could be. It was never intended to do this.

Channel volume down a little, compensate by bringing up the output is the way to go to make it sound less bright, whilst retaining the overall tone that you've dialed in...

cragginshred said:
Only spent 1 night with it, so the JP axe needs to be dialed in. With the eq, and channel two set at: master 11 presence 9, Bass 1, mid and treble at 10 or 11, and channel gain at 1:30 or two it rocks with a perfect harmonic complexity (no unwanted highs or harshness at all).Normally I would push the channel harder for the tone, but this amp seems to deliver the better tones below 11 on the channel and drive the master more. I played with the worship team last night in a hall that holds 700 people and at these setting (mic'd through the PA too) it was excellent in in no way too bright. Vary the setting by bringing up the treble and presence does immediately bring out the harshness described by others. My guess as to why there are a handful of Stiletto haters out there is due to many Mesa users are so conditioned to that nasally grind tone the rectos are known for they cannot makes this amp be a happy medium they wished it could be. It was never intended to do this.

+1 on this. these are such great amplifiers. i always keep my master above noon. it really helps saturate the tone in a warm sort a way. Keeping the master up there brings these amps to life that for sure :)

KH Guitar Freak said:
Channel volume down a little, compensate by bringing up the output is the way to go to make it sound less bright, whilst retaining the overall tone that you've dialed in...

Been getting to know my new Deuce II head. You are exactly right, this makes a huge difference, even at bedroom levels.

Latest posts

Back