im stumped

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
Well I picked up my Lonestar Classic from the repair place and the tech guy says he can't find anything wrong with it. Well the problem is mostly on the 2nd channel. The distortion sounds flabby,grainy,harsh etc and has very little sustain its anything but smooth and im pretty sure its supposed to sound alot better than that. how on earth could this be? Is it possible that the power in my house could have caused this? would a overdrive pedal solve my problems? btw I use a Les Paul Special with DiMarzio Eric Johnson pickups(vintage/low output) :?

thanks

I've had problems with wall power before (I'm in Florida, where the wall voltage is 110ish, not 110). If your amp has a sweet spot, and the wall voltage goes up or down a bit, everything else can go with it.

I put everything on an isolator (not just a conditioner, but one that puts out a constant voltage no matter what goes in) and my tone variations disappeared. That's a pretty drastic measure, but I happened upon a Liebert unit for nothing. A "filter" won't do much for this--it'll take out stuff that's not 60 hz, but if 100 volts go in you'll get 100 volts out.

I didn't notice much of a change in my clean sound when the wall voltage changed, but it REALLY changed the crunch sound. I got a little wall voltage meter for Radio Shack and stuck it on the same line with my gear and that's where I really noticed it.

You could also have a heat-related failure. Does it sound good when you first power it up, but gradually fizzle out over the next half hour or so? If so, there could be a part getting ready to go. The part will work when cold, but start to crap out as it gets hot. Sometimes these go unnoticed on a bench, when the unit is turned on but is not inside the case (it cools better).

Latest posts

Back