I'm running a Mark IV now, but I have another question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plague

Reaction score
Hello all,

Currently I'm running my R59 Les Paul Historic through my Mark IV.

I love the amp but I really want to achieve that Billy Gibbons Marshall tone. I have tried Browning out my Mark IV and it doesn't quite get there of course.

Here is my question... How do I get a killer marshall tone and have the choice to switch to some glistening clean tones when I want to?

Even if I need two amps, besides like a 50w Plexi what route would I take to also have that Clean I'm looking for, (Clean: Jazz: Funk: Blues etc.)?

I havent tried the DSL line for Marshall yet, I'm going today. How are the cleans from those type of Marshall amps?

The Clean on Channel 1 of my Mark IV is great but I know I can get better than that! Plus I really am not a fan of the boogie reverb and would liike to stay away from a reverb pedal.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Plague

If you want a great clean and a marshall overdrive, buy a fender and an old marshall plexi
Still I think the clean on your mark IV must be good enough anyway

I'd get a used Fender Twin Reverb or if you really want to blow big wads of cash, go for a Mojave. Gibbons is using them right now, they're boutique and the price is accordingly high! But it has the best cleans and texas-bluessounds I've ever heard.

I think you want Fender cleans... Maybe a Dual Reverb would do you good.

Then as far as a Marshall ever having cleans.... I take it you haven't played many. I played Marshalls for years and the closest to clean you get at volume is a warmer kind of like wearing a sweater clean not quite gritty but definitely not Fendery. It is not bell like chime of a Fender by any means. A Plexi will give you headroom eventually leading to one of the best rock tones ever but I would not expect that great of cleans.

I play mainly Gibsons though I have a Fender and a G&L. My weapon of choice is a maple top Les Paul that has a 50's profile neck. Other than that pickups will vary. I love the "clean" sound of the low input on my JMP MKII Master 50 Watt Lead. It is not clean by any means. It is the precursor to the 2204. The high input gets you more gain and dirties up faster. Overall I love that amp just the way it is for everything from blues to rock to 80's metal. It is bone stock.

I have a JCM800 2210 that is a Hard Rock/Metal Monstrocity if there ever was one. The clean is not very clean but is acceptible by Marshall standards.

I find my Mark IV to have the best cleans of any amp I own. It also gets the nod for tightest bottom and chunk. Gain though controllable can take you way over the top though not with the feel of a Recto. Versatility is its glory.

You might look into the Lonestars if you want a cleaner clean though.

The Mark IV makes an acceptible Marshally sound on R2 but in order to keep your excellent clean setting in R1 you have to almost lose it in order to get that Marshall on R2.

I have this Ampeg VL that is akin to the Mark IV but mine is the 50 watt single channel head version. Ampeg made a 3 channel 50 watt combo of it along with the two channel 50 and 100 watt heads. Lee Jackson was brought on to design it. He was one of the bigger names in Marshall modification. It is adjustable bias. EL34 and 6550 capable. Has a built in attenuator. Has selectable tone shaping contours. The clean is very clean. The Rhythm channel can get you where you need to go. The Lead channel takes you to places not yet discovered. Just another amp to consider at about half the price of a Mark IV. I only bought the Mark IV because I wanted a Mesa. Check one out.

"Here is my question... How do I get a killer marshall tone and have the choice to switch to some glistening clean tones when I want to?"

Get a Killer Marshall and A/B to an old Fender.

I found out long ago that if you are looking for something in particular there is no way around getting what it is that you are looking for in particular. For example: tube tone cannot be had with solid state. A Strat will never sound like a Les Paul. You get the point. If you want certain sounds go get them. I mean heck you are halfway to awesome tone already with the R59. If you had the moneyto sink into that then what is $2k for the real deal vintage Marshall and another $1k for a decent vintage Fender? Then a little A/B box (true bypass of course) for a couple hundred?

Russ said:
"Here is my question... How do I get a killer marshall tone and have the choice to switch to some glistening clean tones when I want to?"

Get a Killer Marshall and A/B to an old Fender.

I found out long ago that if you are looking for something in particular there is no way around getting what it is that you are looking for in particular. For example: tube tone cannot be had with solid state. A Strat will never sound like a Les Paul. You get the point. If you want certain sounds go get them. I mean heck you are halfway to awesome tone already with the R59. If you had the moneyto sink into that then what is $2k for the real deal vintage Marshall and another $1k for a decent vintage Fender? Then a little A/B box (true bypass of course) for a couple hundred?

Russ, you and a few others have helped me decide. I want to thank you.

I think I'm going to shoot for the plexi first and A/B the Deville 4/10 I already have for now.

I love this journey.

Plague

Latest posts

Back