im getting better tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
out of my fender hot rod deluxe + boss gt-8 than my mark iv combo. does this suprise anybody? the cleans on my hot rod, are a little bit better. and the metal tone from my gt-8 + hot rod is killing the mark iv metal tones ive dialed in. i feel like ive just got a much fuller sound with the hot rod. this is really suprising to me. im thinking about selling the mark :shock:

read the friggin manual. once you do that, do it again. try the settings in there. once your done there, check the mark IV settings in the amp settings database at www.grailtone.com. once your done there, spend about three weeks at least tweeking and twisting knobs until you get the tone you want. the mark IV is not a simple amp.

When you play in a live setting, then you will realize the difference. The MKIV just sings, the Fender will just fade into the background. +1 on re-reading the manual.

i have tried all the settings in the manual! and ive tried at least 5 in the database here. ive been tweaking it for the past 2 weeks that ive had it! maybe im tonedeaf i dont know. :( maybe its just not the tone im going for? :x ill tweak some more but idk if i can get it much better.

^didnt see that post. and i was actually thinking the same thing it might sound better in a live situation. argh

guitardude05 said:
i have tried all the settings in the manual! and ive tried at least 5 in the database here. ive been tweaking it for the past 2 weeks that ive had it! maybe im tonedeaf i dont know. :( maybe its just not the tone im going for? :x ill tweak some more but idk if i can get it much better.

Name some bands or guitarist's tone you are looking for. Th MKIV may not be your amp. Nothing wrong with that. You must be happy with "your" sound. I'm sure we'll help you on the way. There are many Mesa's to try.

ursinus said:
Name some bands or guitarist's tone you are looking for. Th MKIV may not be your amp. Nothing wrong with that. You must be happy with "your" sound. I'm sure we'll help you on the way. There are many Mesa's to try.
well, i really like the tones of bands like lamb of god, chimaira's new album, chevelle. i'll admit, i dont play clean stuff very often

what kind of guitar are you using? pickups? cabinet? any effects? what kind of tone do you want? I dare say that the mark IV's reputation is deserved, and if you persevere, you'll find some awesome metal tones.

though, if you like lamb of god and chevell, you like the IV. just gotta find the sound.

Make sure the graphic EQ is turned on! It will sound decent w/o it but it sounds freakin' MEAN with it on and in the classic "V" shape in the lead channel!

The IV just might not be for you. No amp is perfect, and regardless of how many people on these forums love them, the IV is no different. Some days I feel like selling all my amps and starting from scratch, but I've done that so many times and owned so many amps I'm not sure what I'd get. The cabinet makes a huge difference in tone as well. There's nothing wrong at all with finding a tone more suited to you with a fender and gt-8, as long as "your" happy it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Just because someone says the IV does it all, doesn't mean it does. If the IV was the perfect amp, more people would own them, and every professional would use them, but they don't. Some of the greatest tones of all time (IMO) didn't come from Mesa's- Clapton, Warren Haynes, Page, etc.... The point is, experiment until you find your perfect tone, it could be from the cheapest preamp on the market or it could be a $5k custom made amp.

ToneAddictJon said:
The IV just might not be for you. No amp is perfect, and regardless of how many people on these forums love them, the IV is no different. Some days I feel like selling all my amps and starting from scratch, but I've done that so many times and owned so many amps I'm not sure what I'd get. The cabinet makes a huge difference in tone as well. There's nothing wrong at all with finding a tone more suited to you with a fender and gt-8, as long as "your" happy it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Just because someone says the IV does it all, doesn't mean it does. If the IV was the perfect amp, more people would own them, and every professional would use them, but they don't. Some of the greatest tones of all time (IMO) didn't come from Mesa's- Clapton, Warren Haynes, Page, etc.... The point is, experiment until you find your perfect tone, it could be from the cheapest preamp on the market or it could be a $5k custom made amp.

I agree, though given that he says he likes the tones of lamb of god, chimaira, and chevelle, I'd wager a pretty good bet that he's looking for a IV

be careful also with fullness. With certain aspects of tone, a little bit goes a long way, especially when it comes to low end fullness. what sounds nice and full to you in the room, will probably very likely sound flubbier than rob reiner after thanksgiving dinner. and what sounds bright and somewhat thin may sound just right on tape and in context of a band.

Schmoog said:
I agree, though given that he says he likes the tones of lamb of god, chimaira, and chevelle, I'd wager a pretty good bet that he's looking for a IV
yea thats why i bought the IV. i just a/b'd the 2 amps at loud volumes and the IV was definitely more clear, the gt-8 gave the fender a digital distorted tone. maybe its just taking me a little long to break it in :lol: and one thing i absolutely love about the IV is that you can really hear the strings tone, i cant describe it lol but its almost a twangy feel while being heavy.

post some of your settings and people should be able to help you out.

As for the tone knobs, this is pretty much the classic Mark configuration for metal:

treble-7
mids-4
bass-2
gain-6-8
presence-1-4
Volumes have to be loud...metallica would literally record on 9.5-10
Shape the EQ into the classic scooped V.

Flick on Simul-class. I don't know what other knobs are on the mark4. Someone else can help you out there

Well, at least you're using tubes for some part of the equation. I know we're all Mesa fanboys here for the most part, but if it works to your ear's liking then cool. I've heard some decent tones from a POD XT through an atomic amp so.....

You are not alone! I believe that Mikael and Peter from Opeth have claimed to use the GT-8 for all of their distortion sounds.

Not to move this in a different direction, but doesn't one of the guitarists in lamb of god use framus amps?? Because a framus and a IV is gonna sound so much more devistating than just the IV. Just another thing to look at, when you have 2 guitarists both amps are gonna sound better with the other one complimenting them. I've heard GT-8s, PodXT's and Vetta II's that are programmed right and sound amazing, maybe not exactly like the amp they are emulating, but they sound great in there own right.

rofl, gt-8 distortion better than your Mark IV's? I'm assuming you were born without ears or you just don't know how to use the Mark IV like all the other thousands of people.

fpoon said:
rofl, gt-8 distortion better than your Mark IV's? I'm assuming you were born without ears or you just don't know how to use the Mark IV like all the other thousands of people.
Come on. Just because I hate ESP KH, doesn't mean you have no ears. Things that work for you might not work for someone else.

~trem

guitardude05 said:
out of my fender hot rod deluxe + boss gt-8 than my mark iv combo. does this suprise anybody? the cleans on my hot rod, are a little bit better. and the metal tone from my gt-8 + hot rod is killing the mark iv metal tones ive dialed in. i feel like ive just got a much fuller sound with the hot rod. this is really suprising to me. im thinking about selling the mark :shock:

It sounds like you're looking for the low volume produced sound. I went down that road years ago so I understand.

THe Mark 4 is a great sounding amp that offers excellent modern clean tones as well as great modern gain whereas I hear the GT-8 as being squashed and fizzy sounding.

However, at low volumes and for home practicing, the compressed and fizzy sound can be more appealing.You really need to get the MAster on the Mark 4 up to atleast 2.5 or 3 before any real power tube saturation begins to happen. Then it sounds sweet.

Paul Secondino said:
It sounds like you're looking for the low volume produced sound. I went down that road years ago so I understand.

THe Mark 4 is a great sounding amp that offers excellent modern clean tones as well as great modern gain whereas I hear the GT-8 as being squashed and fizzy sounding.

However, at low volumes and for home practicing, the compressed and fizzy sound can be more appealing.You really need to get the MAster on the Mark 4 up to atleast 2.5 or 3 before any real power tube saturation begins to happen. Then it sounds sweet.
yea i turned them both up and AB'd them and the mark killed the hotrod. the gt-8 gave it a wayyyy too digitized feel at high volumes. im selling the hotrod now lol :) fender isnt my style anyways

Latest posts

Back