I'm gettin a Mark IIb today Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosasi

Reaction score
I've got the Mesa bug. This is my first post but I've been reading this board for a few months and thanks to all who participate. The information I found here was a major reason I decided to upgrade to my second Mesa Boogie amp.

My first Mesa I purchased 3 months ago a Subway Rocket Reverb. Love that ulta awesome amp and will never part with it. However the opportunity to purchase a Mark IIb for $700 (no reverb) (no eq) just dropped into my lap. I couldn't say no. Although I would love eq and reverb, this amp should be a HUGE upgrade over my Subway. I can't wait to pick it up and start experimenting with all the settings.

I'm sure I will be blown away.

The wife won't be too happy. Not only will I have small colletion of amps down in the Man Room, she thinks the Subway is loud. Oh Boy is she in for a surprise.

So I go to pick up the Mark IIb cash in hand. Turns out the thing is beat to Sh&* dented face plate, warped or burned knobs torn tolex. Hey I think no problem, gives it character. Turn it around and find a Fender 12" speaker and its a Fetron version.

I had to walk away, did I make a mistake?

I don't think so.. there are plenty of amps out there, you never know what might be wrong on the inside either.

That makes me feel a little better. Now I will have to go home and take it out on my Subway Rocket turned up to 10.

If it makes you feel better I would have walked too.. check out the Boogie Classifieds, there are tons of great amps in there.

You made the right move backing out of the deal for the Mark IIB. For starters $700 is high for a IIB without reverb or EQ. In addition, if it looked beat, it most likely was not maintained - who knows what other problems it may have?

I'm in MA too, and a couple of weeks ago, I scored a loaded MarkIII combo(w/EQ & reverb, & EV speaker) for $600. The amp was a little dusty, but in very good shape. I cleaned it up and it looks like new. The only problem the amp has is the reverb is not working. I'm planning on trying to fix that this weekend.

You definitely did the right thing. I suggest you be patient and you'll came across a better deal...

You are so right. Now that I walked I found a seller on this board willing to part with his loaded Mark III Blue Stripe. I am so glad I walked because I think the Mark III is more to my style. Plus it's the amp Ron Wood plays so it must be a rocker.

How do you like yours?

It is Zoner's.

Nicest guy I can't wait to get that bad boy in my hands.

How do you like yours?

I'm really digging my Mark III blue stripe. I installed the R2 volume mod and repaired the reverb this weekend. I'm really impressed. These amps had been underappreciated for many years (overlooked due to the Mark IIC+'s status), and are now starting to get some attention.

The R2 volume mod makes all 3 channels usable. If your amp doesn't have it already, it'd be a very worthwhile upgrade.

I also think the key to the amp is keeping the presense very low. The amp can get buzzy when you turn it up past 3 or so. below that, it sounds great.

Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but I'm really liking this amp. It can sound close to my Mark IIC, but the C has slightly better clean tone and a slightly better lead tone. I actually like the tone of the III better than my Mark IV, so that tells you something.

I'll probably mess around with the preamp tubes to tweak the tone even further to my liking.

Enjoy your new amp!

How much was the R2 upgrade and where did you have it done?

Can't wait to get the amp in my hands. I will probably spend a few months getting to know the different tones and voices then make a decision on the upgrade or not.

Glad to hear you like it so much.

Whatever you do, don't upgrade to a Mark IIC+ because that won't sit well with member Dasein.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=13475

This forum is for good guitar players (i.e. psychodave) and skilled electrical savants. I've obviously stumbled into this forum by mistake and need help finding a forum for guitar hacks and soldering 101. (':(')

The last thing I'm gonna do is rip open my new Mark III when it gets here and start waving a hot soldering iron and ohm meter around.

LOL!

PS: That C+ string was a hoot. Almost as good as Sports talk radio.

Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to start messing with your new amp, especially if you're not really experienced with soldering/modding.

The R2 volume mod is pretty simple. Here's the link to the thread that has all the info you need if you ever decide to do it:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=97198#97198

Just spoke with Zoner and the amp is on its way. I will let you know what it sounds like once I plug it in. I feel like a kid the day before Christmas. Cross your fingers UPS ships the thing witout ,as Zoner said, dribbling it down the runway. Although it would probably still work.

Back