i'm about to be a mark I owner....FINALLY!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
i've never tried a mark I. ever.
not an original, not a reissue.
i scored a 1977 non-fetron, hun/vee/eq head on ebay this afternoon, and i need some pointers.
is there anything i should know before diving in? this is the only mark series amp i've never played. i've owned everything else.
what should i expect? any setting quirks i should know about?

If you want to use the "Pull Boost" with high numbers on the Vol1 and Vol2 knobs, get yourself one of these. :D It takes out the "mud".

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=S4nx3AAA1223344504&command=link--aess

Before I found this, I used a Boss OD-1 for a screaming lead sound with the level UP and the drive LOW. My amp also had the "Post FX Level" mod like on the MkIIB's.

ah yes, i totally forgot about those.
never used one of those either.

how do these early marks compare to mark IIb's, or even III's in terms of high gain.
i know thats like 2 questions in one because IIb's and III's are so different, but i'm super curious to hear how they compare.
the earliest mark i've ever played is the mark IIb, so i'm really interested to see where the evolution of the mark series started.
and its not like i'll ever play a RCS modded princeton any time soon.

The Mark I is a little darker than the II-B. Also, the graphic EQ is not very useful but you can send it to Mike Bendinelli and ask him to move it "after the master".
Congrats!!

JimAnsell said:
i've never tried a mark I. ever.
not an original, not a reissue.
i scored a 1977 non-fetron, hun/vee/eq head on ebay this afternoon, and i need some pointers.

Congratulations! At different times, I've owned Mk IVs, a Mk III, and a Studio 22, and lately my thoughts have also turned to a Mk I. I'm eagerly looking forward to a report after you get it and play it for a while.

Mark 1 is a very different animal than any of the other Marks I've played ( IIc's, III's, IV). Flubs out really fast if you try to crank the controls, its definately not a "high gain" amp at all. My 60watt Mark 1 has an amazing clean tone though, and a fat singing lead tone on "channel 2", but don't try extremes on any of the controls or it will get muddy/mushy really fast.

sbalderrama said:
Mark 1 is a very different animal than any of the other Marks I've played ( IIc's, III's, IV). Flubs out really fast if you try to crank the controls, its definately not a "high gain" amp at all. My 60watt Mark 1 has an amazing clean tone though, and a fat singing lead tone on "channel 2", but don't try extremes on any of the controls or it will get muddy/mushy really fast.

I'd have to disagree. With fresh lytics, both B+ and cathode bypass, and a good strong non microphonic 12AX7 in V1, a mid/late 70's Mark I will put some later Marks to sleep in the higher gain department.

My 15" '77 Mark I is slowly overtaking my IV as amp-of-choice. If you dig the whole 'one-channel' thing then it's super fun - sorta like a cross between a Boog and one of those hyper-expensive boutique jobs (not in sound, but in setup and design).

As far as the tone goes - or should I say TONE! - it's exquisite. Set it just right and hit the first lick of Reelin' in the Years, you'll never look back! The dirty channel is super responsive, too...you can switch from crunchy rhythm, clean-ish rhythm and lead just by adjusting your playing and pup.

You'll love it - it's a way of life :) enjoy! (I could rave on Mark Is for weeks, such a great amp!)

And I've never found the graphic to be 'useless', far from it, it's as useful and powerful as it is on the later Marks in my experience.

jonarobb Post subject: Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Donating Member

I'd have to disagree. With fresh lytics, both B+ and cathode bypass, and a good strong non microphonic 12AX7 in V1, a mid/late 70's Mark I will put some later Marks to sleep in the higher gain department.

Do you have a shot/photo of the Internal 'Boogie Board', (I mean the circuit board) ??

Can I check Electrolytic Capacitors and Resistors with a multimeter while they are soldered in the circuit?

Should I drain the capacitors before I use the meter to check them, and what value resistor to drain them with?

Or can I drain the filter capacitors another way?

Will a 25 watt 2.2 ohm resistor be sufficient to drain the capacitors (by shorting the leads of the cap with the resistor in parallel)?

I'll wear gloves and handle the resistor with pliers and set my face and body behind 3/4" thick plywood, so will I be safe, or will I need to brace the plywood as well? :lol:

I use a 1k 5 watt resistor with jumper leads.
1 lead to ground, the other to the cap's positive side.
Also, take the amp off of Standby while doing this.
Make absolutely sure it is unplugged.

I've always wanted to try a Mark I too!
Everytime I listen to early Santana, it just blows me away!
I bet the 15" sounds incredible! :D

Congrats! I just got a Mark 1 reissue. My second guitar amp ever, first Boogie. Holy crap its soo responsive. The notes fly off the fretboard. I just play somewhat jazzified blues looking to dial in Kenny Burrell through Robben Ford to Albert King-ish tone.

Back