IIC+ Going In - Should I add the GEQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson King

Reaction score
I'll be sending my IIC+ to Mesa/Mike shortly. As posted before, I really have been enjoying the Mesa 5-band pedal, but I'm seriously thinking about just biting the bullet and getting the conversion done.

Would I totally be killing the value of the amp by doing so? Any chance it'll sound worse?

Thanks!

Future generations will appreciate the built in GEQ. Any money you put into the amp you will get back when you go to sell it

tony777 said:
Mesa doesn't have any faceplates left so if you don't have a faceplate yourself it can't be done.

Are the MkIII faceplates gone too?

If not they would use one of those. If they did you'd 'black out' the pull over the middle knob.

gts said:
tony777 said:
Mesa doesn't have any faceplates left so if you don't have a faceplate yourself it can't be done.

Are the MkIII faceplates gone too?

If not they would use one of those. If they did you'd 'black out' the pull over the middle knob.

They still have the late Mark III faceplates. It's the "Mesa/Boogie Mark III" writing at the bottom right corner that's giving me the most pause.

There was a board member a while back that was selling a nice factory SRG on ebay. It was a SR that had been sent back to Mike B. to have the GEQ added. No C+ face plates to be had by Mesa so they used an early mark lll plate and blacked out rythm 2 above the middle knob. Although this seller dose ask a premium for his amps their not out of the realm of reasonability. I believe the reason it wasn't selling was because of the mark lll face plate , that's why I didn't pull the trigger, resale concerned me. I can't say that would be an issue for everyone but it was for me. Just something to consider. Just wondering, can the mark ii face plates be modified for.the GEQ? I would think there must be a way by the right person? Seems to me the high demand factor would have motivated some with the right skills to have done this unless theirs a reason it's not fesiable. Just my 2 cents.

Buster Leggs said:
There was a board member a while back that was selling a nice factory SRG on ebay. It was a SR that had been sent back to Mike B. to have the GEQ added. No C+ face plates to be had by Mesa so they used an early mark lll plate and blacked out rythm 2 above the middle knob. Although this seller dose ask a premium for his amps their not out of the realm of reasonability. I believe the reason it wasn't selling was because of the mark lll face plate , that's why I didn't pull the trigger, resale concerned me. I can't say that would be an issue for everyone but it was for me. Just something to consider. Just wondering, can the mark ii face plates be modified for.the GEQ? I would think there must be a way by the right person? Seems to me the high demand factor would have motivated some with the right skills to have done this unless theirs a reason it's not fesiable. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your reply and I totally agree. Also, I think it's especially less worthwhile to add now with the 5-band pedal having been released.

That said, I know people usually include the outboard EQ through the loop - but why not via the preamp-out poweramp-in jacks? Even though I understand the difference will be ultimately minimally, I guess it would technically be closer to the placement of the onboard GEQ.

Crimson King said:
They still have the late Mark III faceplates. It's the "Mesa/Boogie Mark III" writing at the bottom right corner that's giving me the most pause.
Then I would add the GEQ, and hunt down an early MKIII if it bothers you. I was under the impression that all the MKIII faceplates were gone.

My 2 cents...

If it were my amp, and I wanted to keep that specific one, I'd just go for the GEQ pedal. Several reasons--the EQ mod would be expensive, you can always mod it after if you don't like the pedal, the faceplate would be non-original.

From my own experience, I used to own a Simul C+ with no EQ back in my college days. I didn't realize then how big of a difference EQ would make until I played an EQ model. Back then there were no pedals available. Before doing a bunch of crazy mods or commissioning someone to make me a custom EQ pedal, I simply sold it and picked up an EQ model (and then another!). If you have patience, you can sell it now and wait for the right amp to come up for sale. Or get the EQ pedal, purchase an EQ C+, compare the two, and sell one. Theoretically you shouldn't lose money on selling either if you've done your homework.

Elpelotero said:
My 2 cents...

If it were my amp, and I wanted to keep that specific one, I'd just go for the GEQ pedal. Several reasons--the EQ mod would be expensive, you can always mod it after if you don't like the pedal, the faceplate would be non-original.

From my own experience, I used to own a Simul C+ with no EQ back in my college days. I didn't realize then how big of a difference EQ would make until I played an EQ model. Back then there were no pedals available. Before doing a bunch of crazy mods or commissioning someone to make me a custom EQ pedal, I simply sold it and picked up an EQ model (and then another!). If you have patience, you can sell it now and wait for the right amp to come up for sale. Or get the EQ pedal, purchase an EQ C+, compare the two, and sell one. Theoretically you shouldn't lose money on selling either if you've done your homework.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, what you're saying is exactly what I've decided to do. Simply put, and in response to what I mentioned to Mike when he asked if there was anything I didn't like about the tone, I love the tone - love it both with and without the Mesa GEQ in the loop - in fact, I love it more than any other amp I've ever played (which has been many and has included SLOs, Jubilees, etc.). I'm more than content with just running the GEQ in the loop.

Secondly, originality matters to me. God willing, I'll pick up more IIC+s down the road. Once I do, I know I'll appreciate the originality of this amp more so. Long term plan versus short term want.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi there. I am currently considering getting an original, very clean, non eq mark IIC+ head (export model). The problem is that I always use the eq + a parametric eq in my quad because I am into metal a lot. My question is, do you think I could use my current parametric eq in the loop of the mesa head with good results or shall I just wait for another one? The price is 1700 euros shipped and it's not very easy to find a good one here in the EU.

sotosprince said:
Hi there. I am currently considering getting an original, very clean, non eq mark IIC+ head (export model). The problem is that I always use the eq + a parametric eq in my quad because I am into metal a lot. My question is, do you think I could use my current parametric eq in the loop of the mesa head with good results or shall I just wait for another one? The price is 1700 euros shipped and it's not very easy to find a good one here in the EU.

Yes, easily. A IIC+ with an EQ in the loop still sounds amazing and has no problem with metal; to my ears, it does it better as configured as many other amps (SLO, Jubilee, Mark V, Tremoverb, etc., etc.).

If you can afford it, and your research confirms it's a good price in your area, I couldn't recommend a IIC+
(even without the onboard GEQ) highly enough - it's the best amp i've played/owned.

Crimson King said:
sotosprince said:

Yes, easily. A IIC+ with an EQ in the loop still sounds amazing and has no problem with metal; to my ears, it does it better as configured as many other amps (SLO, Jubilee, Mark V, Tremoverb, etc., etc.).

If you can afford it, and your research confirms it's a good price in your area, I couldn't recommend a IIC+
(even without the t GEQ) highly enough - it's the best amp i've played/owned.
There is another a combo with the eq bit this one is an upgraded version because the serial is 111xx and it goes for the same price. The owner reassured me that he did yhe effect loop thing and it's a c+. However, i can not seem to find the "+" marking. I can only see he initials "mb"

sotosprince said:
Crimson King said:
sotosprince said:

(even without the t GEQ) highly enough - it's the best amp i've played/owned.
There is another a combo with the eq bit this one is an upgraded version because the serial is 111xx and it goes for the same price. The owner reassured me that he did yhe effect loop thing and it's a c+. However, i can not seem to find the "+" marking. I can only see he initials "mb"

There's no way that is a factory IIC+ and, if in Europe, I have some doubts that the modification was performed by Mike/Mesa (due to prior policy and shipping costs). I would be hesitant to spend this amount of money on an amp that has been modded by someone else. You could always call Mesa with the Serial Number to confirm.

Just curious, you said in other posts that people at Boogie have said that using the Boogie EQ pedal in the loop is basically the same as the onboard EQ and several others have claimed the same thing (like your posts on Rig-Talk), so why would you spend the money getting the GEQ installed on an amp? Are you not convinced it sounds the same? Also, why not just sell this amp for the $1,750+ that you say they are selling for and scoop up a 2C+ with a GEQ. There was an upgraded 2C to 2C+ selling for $2,850 here... By the time you get your amp modded, you will be near the price of the GEQ model...but yours will not have a 2C+ faceplate.

Just thinking out loud and trying to help you get what you want.

psychodave said:
Just curious, you said in other posts that people at Boogie have said that using the Boogie EQ pedal in the loop is basically the same as the onboard EQ and several others have claimed the same thing (like your posts on Rig-Talk), so why would you spend the money getting the GEQ installed on an amp? Are you not convinced it sounds the same? Also, why not just sell this amp for the $1,750+ that you say they are selling for and scoop up a 2C+ with a GEQ. There was an upgraded 2C to 2C+ selling for $2,850 here... By the time you get your amp modded, you will be near the price of the GEQ model...but yours will not have a 2C+ faceplate.

Just thinking out loud and trying to help you get what you want.

I appreciate it. I decided against adding the GEQ and have had no second thoughts for awhile now about the decision. My thinking was simply that the onboard is about $150-250.00 more than the EQ pedal, so basically a de minimis cost in the grand scope all else being equal. Also, a trip to Petaluma is doable but not overly close - if I was going to get it added, I wanted to get it done in one step.

Ultimately, I love the tone I'm getting and it's the best I've personally experienced - for instance, it buries all the SLOs and Marshalls that I've heard and owned. It also sounded better - to me - than a factory DRG that I briefly got to experience. I preferred the SR's clarity and immediacy.

I have no intentions to sell the amp and have now moved on to revamping the rest of my rig - now the debate is pedals or rackmounts.

Thanks again for your interest in helping.

Latest posts

Back