IIC+ first impressions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
wow.

I finally got to open this thing up today and it really is in another league of its own. All the hype about this amp really is true. We'll see how it holds up to the honeymoon test but so far it's exceeded all expectations. The EQ is actually better than the Mark IV in my opinion, it doesn't sound squashed without it on and actually has a cool brown type tone to it with lower volume and EQ out. I am still at the tip of the iceburg but so far I really like the dirty.

Cleans.. I'm a little concerned, maybe someone can help me out here. I think they sound absolutely fantastic, very bright but not shrill, very creamy sustain.. but I am noticing with my guitar volume dimed and with a moderate volume on the clean, there is a strange fizz... almost like something is vibrating weird in the cab. I compared it to my Mark IV cleans and there was no buzzing at all. If I lower my volume it goes away. It doesn't impact the sound or tone but it's noticeable when I'm right next to the cab and therefor I'm worried it will be noticeable on a close mic.

Does this sound like a tube issue? This noise is not present on the lead and it's only noticeable when my clean volume is above 6-7ish.

Either way, what a ridiculously awesome amp, I'm floored by how clear and articulate it is and how dynamic the lead sounds. I can hold a note for days and coax it into pleasant natural feedback.

I think I'll be sticking in the 100W mode though, the 60 is kinda squashed to my ears though not terrible.. just not as sweet as the 100.

Platypus said:
Does this sound like a tube issue? This noise is not present on the lead and it's only noticeable when my clean volume is above 6-7ish.

If you are calling Volume 1 clean volume, then anything above 6-7 with the guitar volume dimed may start to introduce a mild distortion. Understand that Volume 1 also feeds the Lead Drive with more signal when in the Lead channel. Running Volume 1 too low will make the Lead channel sound thin. This is an amp of compromises. I find it easier to leave the Vol. 1 around 7-8, then adjust the Lead Drive to taste. If you want to clean up the rhythm channel, just roll off the guitar volume a bit. The other possible source of the noise may be the V30 Celestions begging for mercy. :lol:

JOEY B. said:
Platypus said:

If you are calling Volume 1 clean volume, then anything above 6-7 with the guitar volume dimed may start to introduce a mild distortion. Understand that Volume 1 also feeds the Lead Drive with more signal when in the Lead channel. Running Volume 1 too low will make the Lead channel sound thin. This is an amp of compromises. I find it easier to leave the Vol. 1 around 7-8, then adjust the Lead Drive to taste. If you want to clean up the rhythm channel, just roll off the guitar volume a bit. The other possible source of the noise may be the V30 Celestions begging for mercy. :lol:

That makes perfect sense and it was something I noticed but wasn't sure if I was bonkers lol. Thanks for validating that :) It does sound like VERY mild breakup. I'm also using some high output pups so I'll try my Tele out and see how it fares.

I really like Volume 1 on 7 right now, has a nice round tone to it.

All these threads about IIC+ makes me want to go find one... :cry:

As if three amps aren't enough... haha.

Glad you're happy with your purchase. Post up some clips if you get a chance, I'd love to hear your amp.

Does your 2x12 have stereo inputs? If so, then you can have a 60/100 AND a Simulclass power section hooked to the C+ preamp (via slave out). Just remember to go to the correct ohm loads on your outputs. Just don't go wild with the volume as the V30's will only take so much. :eek:

http://web.mac.com/iicplus/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I started the site and need to work on the links to larger photos and add the hardwood head, but it's a start.

My settings are 8, 6, 2, 5, 2, 8 and 3. The pull shift on the treble and pull bright are on. I also usually run the 6600 just below the bottom line. The settings on the tolex head on the main page purely rip. That amp has gain to spare so the volume 1 is .5 lower and the bass and EQ were set up to run through a Mesa 4X12 4FB slant with four vintage 30's. Massive tone and very John Sykes like. I also love a slight mismatch like runnung an 8 ohm speake with the 4 ohm tap. It's even smoother.

Drew, I am really glad you can now enjoy the Grail.

BTW, take a look at the tolex combo with the Mesa/Boogie logo. It's totally original. Both that amp and the Imbuya, and Thiele have the EV.
i like the EV, but it is brutally honest. I prefer multiple cabs which allows me to open those bitches up. Heaven on earth indeed.

Enjoy.

All this hype made me do more tone seaching on my C+ head. I cut the EQ off and twisted some knobs and I'm in vintage city with the Lead channel and the crusty 'Paul. :D There is no honeymoon period for me. Dammit my fingers hurt!

Boogiebabies said:
http://web.mac.com/iicplus/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I started the site and need to work on the links to larger photos and add the hardwood head, but it's a start.

My settings are 8, 6, 2, 5, 2, 8 and 3. The pull shift on the treble and pull bright are on. I also usually run the 6600 just below the bottom line. The settings on the tolex head on the main page purely rip. That amp has gain to spare so the volume 1 is .5 lower and the bass and EQ were set up to run through a Mesa 4X12 4FB slant with four vintage 30's. Massive tone and very John Sykes like. I also love a slight mismatch like runnung an 8 ohm speake with the 4 ohm tap. It's even smoother.

Drew, I am really glad you can now enjoy the Grail.

BTW, take a look at the tolex combo with the Mesa/Boogie logo. It's totally original. Both that amp and the Imbuya, and Thiele have the EV.
i like the EV, but it is brutally honest. I prefer multiple cabs which allows me to open those bitches up. Heaven on earth indeed.

Enjoy.

Thanks Ed

Your settings are almost exactly what I dialed in this afternoon just messing around for a bit. I have a 3 for Mids and 2.5 for lead master and everything is pulled except Volume 1. It sounds awesome. I decided to keep the M/B logo and just leave it as it is.

I don't know how similar your amp will be to mine, but I have had great luck turning the master up very high while keeping the lead master at essentially zero. Smooths it out a little bit (which might not be what you're looking for)

All you C+ guys are killing me. I've got to find one.

Has anyone seen the extended trailer for the new movie "I am Legend"? Well It got me day dreaming that if I was the last man on earth, I would get a big van and go to all your houses and take your C+'s. I would then set them all up slaved to each other and use the resulting TONE to scare off any bad guys.

**** I hope there's still electricity????????

phyrexia said:
I don't know how similar your amp will be to mine, but I have had great luck turning the master up very high while keeping the lead master at essentially zero. Smooths it out a little bit (which might not be what you're looking for)

Oh yes, the Master Volume at 5 and the lead master at .5 trick is sweet.
It just blooms sweetness and natural bottom end. It's just another renage of tones in the arsenal. If I want a brighter, more aggressive tone I set it up normally. Just remember not to switch to the clean channel or you will die from the sonic boom.

phyrexia said:

Neat, I'll give that a shot, thanks!

This amp was so worth the wait...

hey guys!

just joined the board. found it while i was snooping around for info on MB MkIIc+'s.

what are these puppies going for these days? namely one w/...

simulclass
hardwood/cane
no eq or verb

thanks in advance! i'm gonna go snoop some more.

cheers,
Jon

simul class hardwood and no eq or reverb are about 2300-2500. The hardwood is probably the most expensive factor...A hardwood without simulclass can sell for 2500 or more easily.

Elpelotero said:
simul class hardwood and no eq or reverb are about 2300-2500. The hardwood is probably the most expensive factor...A hardwood without simulclass can sell for 2500 or more easily.

awesome. thanks for the info!

best,
jon

don't take that as a quote though! it's just an estimate...I haven't seen many C+'s on ebay for a while, so those numbers are not set in stone.

Elpelotero said:
don't take that as a quote though! it's just an estimate...I haven't seen many C+'s on ebay for a while, so those numbers are not set in stone.

it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers are starting to dry up.. there are only so many left in the world...

Latest posts

Back