IIC+ Channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nazgul666

Reaction score
I am thinking about jumpoing in to the world of Marks and I have been tracking some IIC+s on EBAY. For you guys that rehearse and gig with them. How versatile are they on the fly? Can it be set up to access a heavy rhythm sound, then get a volume boost for solos, and get a clean all via footswitch? Is the eq footswitchable?

Thanks,

Mike

In my experience, it's difficult to get a clean sound and a good saturated lead sound AT THE SAME TIME without a pedal. The cascading gain nature of the amp requires a high Volume 1 level in order to produce a high-gain saturated Lead sound, at least without a pedal. The signal is sent from Channel 1 to 2, so Channel 2's gain is dependent upon the level in Channel 1. I am able to get a good clean sound and a great medium gain, ballsy rhythm sound. I'm not sure what you mean by "heavy rhythm" sound, but it would be hard to get a pristine type clean in Channel 1 and a chugga-chugga in Channel 2 at the same time without a pedal.

The channels, eq and reverb are footswitchable, and Channel 2 has a separate volume level (in addition to gain level), so you have several ways to get boosts when switching either way (from 1 to 2, or 2 to 1). Also, the tone control pots are shared between channels, but the eq can also help here.

I think for what you want, a Mark IV or V might be better. The beauty of the Marks IV and V is that each channel has independent gain, meaning Channels 2 and 3 are not reliant on the level of Channel 1. Also, each channel has separate eq pots, with the exception of Channels 1 and 2 on the Mark IV that share a common mid and bass pot. The Mark V is completely independent eq, and even has many more options than the Mark IV.

Hope this helps.

Nazgul666 said:
I am thinking about jumpoing in to the world of Marks and I have been tracking some IIC+s on EBAY. For you guys that rehearse and gig with them. How versatile are they on the fly? Can it be set up to access a heavy rhythm sound, then get a volume boost for solos, and get a clean all via footswitch? Is the eq footswitchable?

Thanks,

Mike

Pick up a "clean boost" pedal for boosting your solo volume. Heavy rhythms are no problem. How pristine do you like your cleans? Do you mind rolling off the guitar volume knob a bit for your cleans? The EQ is footswitchable by using the under chassis jack.

Acutally my guitar has a piezobridge that came with a Y cable so for cleans I could actually just run a roland or something and toggle the piezo switch on my guitar.

So the big thing would be solo boost and then effects loop. So could I go from a scooped, dry rhythm tone to a more middy lead tone with higher volume and delay. I guess if the effects loop is assignable to the different channels that would be possible but if its either on or off I would need to do some tap dancing?

Thanks,

Mike

Loop is not channel-assignable, but it's one foot tap away.

I'll let others more experienced with the amp suggest methods to accommodate your other question. From what I've seen, I think the Mark V will do exactly what you want. You could run the rhythm channel with the contour scooped, then switch to a higher gain channel that has its eq set to graphic with the mids boosted...or vice versa. Set channel volumes and you're good-to-go. I don't own a V, nor do I intend to buy one (at lease until I demo one :wink:). But its flexibility is unparalleled.

Nazgul666 said:
Acutally my guitar has a piezobridge that came with a Y cable so for cleans I could actually just run a roland or something and toggle the piezo switch on my guitar.

So the big thing would be solo boost and then effects loop. So could I go from a scooped, dry rhythm tone to a more middy lead tone with higher volume and delay. I guess if the effects loop is assignable to the different channels that would be possible but if its either on or off I would need to do some tap dancing?

Thanks,

Mike

You could try an EQ pedal (with a level control for volume boost) along with a delay in the effects loop with a looper pedal such as the Keeley. Channel 1 will not do a dry scooped rhythm tone. I'll agree with Frank, you are really wanting a Mark V. It will be much more user friendly for your purpose.

If you're lucky enough to find a Coliseum, you won't have the problem of a distorted clean channel at high volumes due to the capacity of the transformer.

Elpelotero said:
If you're lucky enough to find a Coliseum, you won't have the problem of a distorted clean channel at high volumes due to the capacity of the transformer.

If you do find a Coliseum,try and work a lifetime supply of earplugs into the deal. :lol:
Jim

I have been able to get great clean tones along with good clean sounds at gig levels. The trick is in how you set it up,vand haveing an outboard effects unit, like a G-Major, which can just drop just the volume of just the clean channel. I run volume 1 at 5.5-6. This gives me the headroom on my lead channel, but can still give me good clean sounds. However, the clean sounds are still a louder volume then the lead channel. To remedy this, my G-Major is switching the channels on the amp, and when I run a patch that uses the clean channel, I just automatically run the clean channel -20 dB.

Now to keep the gain up on the lead channel, you will have to run treble high (at least 7), and lead Drive ( I run it at 8). Also, use the pull bright on the Lead Master to get that extra edge. Finally, having the high treble, I pull deep on the Master 1. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back