idea for amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
I like a lot more treble in the tone when playing the 3 low strings and very little treble when playing the high 3 strings, so I came up with an idea... I cant make it happen but maybe someone else can for me. I was thinking that you could mod an amp switcher so that when when your play the low strings it sends the signal to one amp (with EQed treble in) and when you play the high strings it could send it to another amp with a warmer tone. For this to be done the pedal will have to be able to recognize the pitch on the notes going in. Can this be done?

You don't want a switcher, you want separate pickups for the low strings and high strings.

you could also play with the pole pieces on the pups, or you could make your own pickguard and angle the pup. thats one of the factors that made jimi individual imo. playing a strat backwards reverses the angle of the bridge pup.

and how about using a bridge pickup when you play low strings and neck pickup when you play high strings? :)

it has nothing to do with pickups, I like the pickups that I have chosen and I use the neck pickup for leads and the bridge pickup for riffs. I am looking for what I describe in the original post, is there any way to make this?

Devon8822 said:
it has nothing to do with pickups, I like the pickups that I have chosen and I use the neck pickup for leads and the bridge pickup for riffs. I am looking for what I describe in the original post, is there any way to make this?

nope, their suggestions to adjust the pickups is what I was going to post... BUT now I suggest you use a Roland VG88 or VG8 etc. and sell your current rig. You can do what you are describing in your question with ease with one of those.
I use Roland guitar synths and their top shelf. Their modelers are great too! Give one a try :)

Devon8822 said:

You think it would be easier to make some kind of pedal that 'knows' which string you're playing and use that to split the output between two amps than to simply have the low strings excite a separate set of pickups from the high strings? Doing this at the pickups is the only way to do it without all kinds of convoluted digital hoop-jumping.

I think you would need your guitar to go into a powered preamp that had a builtin crossover which would allow you send certain frequencies to one amp and other frequencies to another amp.

Or 2 pickup's- one on the top 3 one on the bottom three and then a stereo out top three go to left out bottom three go to right out.

That is the only way you can split the strings up like that. No switch or anything can do that like that.

The only way that I'm aware of to do what you want is with the old Roland V guitar system & a GK-2A p/up which lets you assign which strings go to what channel (left or right) which you can then send to separate amps.

I think you could probably program an AxeFx to do that, its capable of pitch recognition and changing sounds based on that. I haven't played with that aspect of it so I couldn't tell you how, but you could ask at the Fractal Audio boards ( http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum ). By "do that" I mean adjust EQ based on which pitch is coming in, not necessarily switch it to two different physical amps, unless there would be a way to shift the signal by pitch to either the right or left output. That would be cool. And you could probably of course switch the signal between two different amp models inside the AxeFx. I'll have to try something like that to see what can be done.

Split pickups would be the easiest way to split the output of the strings like that. However, if you simply want to combine the character of one amps high end and another amps low end, just use a crossover. I believe that's what the guitarist from Tool does. He has a Marshall for his high end and a Diezel (I think) for his lows.

An A-B pedal would allow you to manualy switch between the two, but it would be anything but subtle and seamless. A better approach would be to use a panner pedal (like a volume pedal, but it fades between two outputs) to send your guitars signal to two different amps while you control the mix with your foot. Toe up goes to one amp while your playing on the low strings, and toe down goes to the other amp for the high strings. You would also get the added benefit of all the in-between tones of different mixes of the two.

Another possibility for using just one amp would be to reconfigure a volume pedal to work as a foot controlable tone knob. You could then use your foot to roll off some of the high end (just like a guitars tone knob) when you are playing on the higher strings. This would be very similar to a wah pedal, but it would be a low pass filter and not the distictively honky notch filter of a wah.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat...

Back