I Want to Sound Like Hetfield, Please Help!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to build a rig that sound just like hetfield. I want his rythm sound off of load and reload, the earlier stuff is too thin for me. So im guessing i need to go with a triaxis right? And could i make do with a 2:90 or do i need to search for a strategy 400? I have no experience with midi so i was scared to get into it, but i am thinking a ground control pro and a gcx switcher but i am still hesitant because of all the prgramming and everything. any help is appreciated

http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/jamesamps.html

Triaxis is the key.

A major part of Hetfield's sound is in his right hand technique. Once you get that part down then it is a matter of playing through a relatively high gain amp that is still relatively clean. You need to maintain articulation of the individual notes. Realistically you don't need James' gear to sound like him. He sounds like him no matter what he plays through. I would say practice playing his style. He typically plays all downstrokes with the occasional upstroke out of convenience but he definitely isn't an alternate picking kind of guy. His right hand technique also includes the way he mutes. Once you get his playing style dialed in then move on to find the gear. This will keep you from being swayed before you know what it will actually sound like while you are playing. Yes, it is important to play on the gear that is used by the artist to really get there but you don't necessarily need that gear. Case in point, Metallica used a modded Marshall to record a mass of their material. They do not take it out on the road. Kirk used an old Gibson Flying V to lay down a ton of their songs. He doesn't use it live. Get the idea? Though they used dozens of amps to record the black album they didn't have them all on the road to support them. I think that if you get your playing style together and then get an amp that can get clsoe then you are basically doing what they are still doing. This having been said, a Triaxis with a tube power amp, a Quad with a tube power amp, a Mark IV, or even a Dual Rec should get you there as far as Mesa gear is concerned. Just do not forget that you will want a JC-120 for your cleans.

Lots of great tips concerning technique :)

Gearwise, James' tone on Load comes from a variety of amps but they're separated in the main/core tone and other amps simply used for texture/flavor. The main amps were a IIC+, Triple Rectifier, and Jose Arrendondo Modded Marshall. James' live tone at the time was C+ and Rectifier, coming from his Triaxis. 4 in the rack, 2 are spares. 1 for the C+ tone, one for the Recto tone. The C+ Triaxis also uses an external boogie graphic EQ in the loop for more authentic C+ tones.

The 290 should be fine :) I would Checkout either the Triaxis, Studio, or Quad as far as preamps go regarding the C+ style tone. Alternatively, you could just go for a Mark IV head. As far as the Recto tone goes, Triaxis or recto recording pre...or even a normal Recto head/rackmount rectifier.

thankz so much for the help so far, now that i have a good idea about equipment is it work doing to whole rack setup deal since i dont even know where to begin with the midi programming?basically i need to run whatever my mesa setup would be along with my silver juibilee head to have live a clean/crunch/heavy rythm/lead tone presets

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the midi setup just yet. Things can change depending on what your actual setup will be and just how much control you wish to have. Once you get your stuff, it is relatively easy (depending on how much you wanna spend :p) to get it all up and running.

I have been reading around and i have come across a few threads that have interested me. Is it true that i can buy a triaxis and run it through the rectoverb head i have? If so how do i set it up? thankz again for all the help guys

Yeah, you just run the triaxis (or any preamp) output into the recto fx return. Doing this will allow you to use only the recto's power section.

Russ said:
A major part of Hetfield's sound is in his right hand technique. Once you get that part down then it is a matter of playing through a relatively high gain amp that is still relatively clean. You need to maintain articulation of the individual notes. Realistically you don't need James' gear to sound like him. He sounds like him no matter what he plays through. I would say practice playing his style. He typically plays all downstrokes with the occasional upstroke out of convenience but he definitely isn't an alternate picking kind of guy. His right hand technique also includes the way he mutes. Once you get his playing style dialed in then move on to find the gear. This will keep you from being swayed before you know what it will actually sound like while you are playing. Yes, it is important to play on the gear that is used by the artist to really get there but you don't necessarily need that gear. Case in point, Metallica used a modded Marshall to record a mass of their material. They do not take it out on the road. Kirk used an old Gibson Flying V to lay down a ton of their songs. He doesn't use it live. Get the idea? Though they used dozens of amps to record the black album they didn't have them all on the road to support them. I think that if you get your playing style together and then get an amp that can get clsoe then you are basically doing what they are still doing. This having been said, a Triaxis with a tube power amp, a Quad with a tube power amp, a Mark IV, or even a Dual Rec should get you there as far as Mesa gear is concerned. Just do not forget that you will want a JC-120 for your cleans.

best advice i have ever heard regarding people searching for the metallica tone. you said every word that needed to be said!

boogie4life, i don't think i've seen you around too much before... you got quite the rig my friend! you seem tohave some classic pieces there!

Elpelotero said:
boogie4life, i don't think i've seen you around too much before... you got quite the rig my friend! you seem tohave some classic pieces there!
Thanks. You seem to have some nice vintage pieces as well. I had Recto #189 also but got rid of it many years ago. I am the original owner of all my stuff except the Triaxis.Mark Snyder had basically helped put my rig together and cutom built quite a few pieces I have. That was way back when he had his stint at Boogie. That was quite a long time ago!! :lol:

Russ said:

I've been playing Hetfield's style for almost 20 years now and I have to say, this was the most accurate and appropriate tip anyone could possibly give. I've owned a ton of equipment and yeah, I can sound like him on anything...likewise, I know people who own his exact gear and couldn't sound anything like Metallica. Unfortunately, I've never been able to convey what you said as well as you just said it. Nice work!

From the above mentioned site. Is it just me or is this pic bloody funny? :lol: :lol:
Nice shorts and Metal Church top. :wink:

AmpRack1.jpg

Lars always drinks Evian (it's the best water around) and Metal Church's guitarist sat in for James the summer before that pic was taken so I'll go out on a limb and say that's Lars in the hot pants.

He has often said that his style is primarily just a solid downpicking attack. He finds that he gets a better bite that way. I have seen him get lazy live sometimes and you will catch him on an upstroke here and there but there are some chords that he prefers to play in an upstroke during some songs.

Iconoclysm said:
Lars always drinks Evian (it's the best water around) and Metal Church's guitarist sat in for James the summer before that pic was taken so I'll go out on a limb and say that's Lars in the hot pants.

I can see Lars drinking evian but whoever that is looks taller than Lars.

the thing i find about his technique is that even if you can downpick as fast as him, you can not achieve the same "fluidity/groove/note transitions" that he gets. for example, that classis spider riff in the beginning of Master. I can only get that fluidity when I alternate pick it.

Latest posts

Back