I Want It All Dammit!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crestwood1972

Reaction score
Here is what I want ...

1. an amp that sounds GREAT at bedroom levels; plus

2. LSC cleans; plus

3. mark IIC+ leads; plus

4. RKII crunch; plus

5. sells for under $200 (just kidding).

The crunch I can live without but what amp gets me closest to the first 3 on my list? MESA or any other manufacturer.

Help!

Thanks!

Not sure if you've tried the LSC CH2 yet, but I find a LOT of different moods available. I'm new to the BB and I've never heard any of the Marks, but I can coax more styles of lead gain than I can keep track of with my LSC. Maybe someone can recommend a good pedal or EQ setting for you to cop the MKII lead tone ... I'll bet the LS is your amp all by itself.

I definitely love the cleans on the LSC. Of course, you can get them now (so they tell me) on the RKII but that moster is LOUD.

So how does the LSC sound running at 10W? Do the lead tones compare with running it at 50W or 100W?

I'd be using 6L6s not EL34s.

Thanks!

I have the LSC so mine only goes from 100 to 50, but for leads I like the sound of 2 tubes "sweating" more than 4 running cool, so I suspect that in 10 watt mode it would be even nicer.

OK, I REALLY like the RKII.

This comes as close to perfect (for me) as any single amp out there.

But ... how will it sound at apartment/bedroom levels?

Would I be better off getting a low-watt amp so I can drive the tubes?

Will I get a better sound than a volume-down RKII?

I've been reading lately about Emery Sound's Superbaby amps.

6 - 12 watts that I can push and get decent cleans and lead.

Ideas?

RK II is way overkill for bedroom playing. It is an awesome and expensive amp.

I think the Express 5:50 or 5:25 would fit the bill nicely for your requirements. I've had both of them.

OK I'm going WAY out of the box for this one ...

I REFUSE to compromise on my tones. Period. I want a RKII and I want it NOW!

So, what about this, and I invite all sound engineers to chime in on the efficacy of this bizarre idea ...

Suppose I were to line a section of my apartment walls with hooks spaced a couple of feet apart and hang soundproofing sheets or blankets around that space including above. Not regular sheets or blankets but those made of a special soundproofing material.

How much sound would this block out given there would be small gaps here and there at the ceiling join? The floor is no problem because I am on the ground floor.

Perhaps also use old carpets to further block sound, maybe put an air space between the sheet and the carpet.

How effective would this be?

Or maybe there's a much better way.

****, one could make a FORTUNE marketing a cheap portable studio product using sheets, blankets, plexiglass, or something else.

Ideas?

OK I'm going WAY out of the box for this one ...

I REFUSE to compromise on my tones. Period. I want a RKII and I want it NOW!

So, what about this, and I invite all sound engineers to chime in on the efficacy of this bizarre idea ...

Suppose I were to line a section of my apartment walls with hooks spaced a couple of feet apart and hang soundproofing sheets or blankets around that space including above. Not regular sheets or blankets but those made of a special soundproofing material.

How much sound would this block out given there would be small gaps here and there at the ceiling join? The floor is no problem because I am on the ground floor.

Perhaps also use old carpets to further block sound, maybe put an air space between the sheet and the carpet.

How effective would this be?

Or maybe there's a much better way.

****, one could make a FORTUNE marketing a cheap portable studio product using sheets, blankets, plexiglass, or something else.

Ideas?

You basically need to build a room inside a room. Don't forget to add the flooring, and all of it needs an air gap. It can be done...My brother did just this when he was in an apartment. THEN sound proof the inside of that room.

But holy cow, the RK is still a 100+W amp. That's gonna be *really* loud in a small room like that...

Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back