i want a darker sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchell628

Reaction score
this is my current setup and i think i want to move to a darker, more raw and harsh type of a sound, similiar to the tone of kurt ballou in the band converge.

my current setup is this:

mesa dual racktifier
peavey 5150 cab
epiphone les paul with burstbucker pro in the bridge.

any advice on what to do to get that type of tone?

right now i get a nice vintage tone on the vintage channel on the spongy setting but I've had the amp for only about a month now so I'm still trying to work with it.

He used to use an EMG loaded Ric into a Boss Metalzone into a bunch of clean amps (Ampegs, Marshall bass heads, Traynor).

At some point in time he switched to using a Stampede SDT-1 for dirt.

Last I heard he was using a Badcat Blackcat head, a THD Flexi Head, and First Act guitars.

If you're after his older tones the Recto should get you where you want to go. If you want darker, try swapping to JJ 6L6 power tubes, and experiment with some warmer/less bright sounding speaker cabinets.

on my modern setting with my stuff it sounds really tight and punchy, more like a metal sound, i want a more rough, raw and darker type of a sound I think, maybe the EMG's would make the difference.

The 5150 cabinet is pretty bright too. You might want to look into a darker cabinet. Dimarzio Tone Zones help too.

mitchell628 said:
...maybe the EMG's would make the difference.

If you're trying to get a darker tone maybe an 85...the 81's are super-bright (too bright IMO). Think I'd stick with the p'ups you have and try tubes first. The JJ 6L6's are probably a good choice for the kind of tones you describe. Try them in the preamp also.

Speakers make a huge difference as well. If your budget wont allow for a different cab or speaker swap, try putting a 2-3" layer of fiberglass insulation inside the back of your cab. It deadens the cab a bit, and also makes the speakers react as though they were in a larger cab (deeper lows).

I agree with the PU changes others have suggested. I have an LP standard (2001) with 490 and 498T PU's and when I asked, the GC guys said the BB Pro's that came with the 2002 and newer LPs' were brighter...which I DIDN'T want. Also, according to the Gibson chart, the Pro's don't have the best sonic output either.

Try tuning down 1/2 step! To ease set-up issues and get a bigger sound, go up a gauge in strings also!

changing impedance...like running 8ohms into 16 ohms will darken your sound a little. Its a safe mismatch and it will make things sound a tad darker. Never hurts to try. I ran my SR like that into a Marshall 1960A cab. But I think that cab is a little darker sounding than the 5150 anyways. But none the less. Try anything and everything.

jbird said:
Try tuning down 1/2 step! To ease set-up issues and get a bigger sound, go up a gauge in strings also!

+mutha fuckin 1!!

I wasn't trying to make my recto sound darker, but I tuned down to Eb from E standard and it sounds way darker.

Not in a bad way, It's coo :D

my band has a song or 2 thats played in open C. Almost the same tuning as Soundgarden's "Burden in my hand" only the 2nd string is tuned to a C instead of a G. Man does the single recto ever respond nice to those lower notes. It makes that growl of a recto even MORE in your face. But I also use Dean Markley LTHB's so I think that may help with string clairty some.

its not simple...

ive tried many different strings, a few different picks, quite a few various tunings, it helps but it doesnt give me the tone i want.

its not going to be solved by something easy like tuning/picks.

Back