I think I am the shopper from hell.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanzilla

Reaction score
Hi, I bought my DR 3-Chan about 4 days ago and I love it. So here is the story.

Went into GC looking to buy a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12. Loved the cleans, very bubbley and nice. I play Blues mostly but also love to play hard rock, nu-metal, metal.

He talked me into the USED mesa single rec and a USED marshall cab: I hated it, couldn't dial in any good blues tone, loved the high gain, not loud enough, clean suuucked. I brought it back.

swapped single rec for jcm 2000 tsl because he said it was modeled after fender clean: liked it a lot for blues, nice and loud, bad sounding high gain, not tough enough. I brought it back.

The guy at GC was really gettin sick of me so I told him I love the cleans of the Hot rod deville and liked the high gain of the Single rec.

SO HE SAYS - "Buy your ultimate high gain setup and I'll throw in the hot rod deville". - nice, this is even after I haggled the **** out of him. So I got the Single rec and a ugly *** cream colored oversized mesa 4x12 AND the Hot rod deville.

So took it home was happy for a week and was like this single rec is not loud enough for me and I really hate this color cab, I need the 100 watt dual rec with the all tube action or silicon diode. SO I TOOK IT BACK once they got in a DR - 3 chan.

Got a used DR-3chan and a brand new black oversized slant cab. Still kept the Hot Rod Deville. Liked the tone a lot, am getting tons of tones from, classic rock, blues, everything. WAAAAY different from the single rectifier in my opinion.

So today I go to play it and it lost all that tone, volume, and gain.... man I was pissed, Turned out the rectifier tube was bad.

So I brought it in and they replaced both the rectifier tubes and it fixed it but I think it lost a little tone. Oh well, I can deal with it with tweaks.

Well, he plugs it into a traditional cab for me to test it and it sounded like a whole new amp, very tight, sounded like the **** marshall but with even better gain. I was like ok whatever.

Go home and play my amp - Sounds flubby and farty.

SO I'M OFF TOMORROW TO TRADE IN MY STANDARD CAB FOR THE TRADITIONAL. :twisted:

You are a salesmans nightmare! :wink:

Congrats on finding the tone that you were looking for.

Oh, I also bought an american strat while I was there too. So at:

$800 - Fender Strat
$1150 - Dual Rec
$900 - CAB

I think I should be able to picky like this.

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS, "SORRY MIKE FROM GC IN THE TWIN CITIES"

-- I think I will throw him a $20 for being pretty cool about this whole ordeal.

I'm sooooo **** picky and I think for that amount of money I should be HUUUGELY inspired to play by an amp.

when you play through an amp and hear it's tone it SHOULD inspire you to want to play through it.

So the lessons we've learned here:

Don't listen to salesmen.
Do your research.

:lol:

You're paying the money! Get what you want out of it!

**** good deal on the HRD....I wish my GC had Mesa....I bought my DR form a smaller shop, and got no deal, as they are the only Mesa carriers around.

I'm happy, but I wish I could have gotten atleast a bit of a break...

And do you find hte traditional to be that much better? One thing I have found is that the oversized really needs some driving to wake up!

Hey Ibanez4life,

Didn't you have the traditional cab? Did you like that one better?

From what little I heard it sounded great for some reason it just had a lot more tone and really tight with a lot of low end chunk too not as bassy or farty as others would call it. Just sounded mean. I was amazed that it could make that much of a difference.

anyone have any other comments on the traditional cab?

I currently own an oversized and really love it! It took me quite a bit to dial in a tight yet huge tone with it, but I've done it, and I'm very happy!

The way I look at it, the oversized was designed for the amp. There are some characteristics it brings out in it that a traditional will not.

But I still want to try a traditional with it! :D

Latest posts

Back