I think I am sold on the Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr GearHead

Reaction score
I am 99.9% sure I am trading the Ace for a Roadster.

The Ace is great at what it does but I want a more modern, fuller tone.

The roadster seems really versitle, how easy / consistent is it to dial in. That's one of the things I love about my Ace, it's plug and play.

I think I will miss the ace, especially the crunch mode with the gain maxed but I have an MI crunch box for those marshall esq moments.

I was also wondering how many of you guys boost, I am not a fan with the ace but think the added mids and less bass of my maxon 808 may be a different story with the roadster.

Also, I plan on running it through an Orange 2x12 loaded with V30's, I am hoping it will sound pretty good, I just can't afford the mesa 4x12 at the moment.

Cheers

The Roadster is a killer amp. Just remember that it is a Recto! It will not be as tight and organic as the EL34 loaded Stiletto. It really does just about do it all though. I had one for a few months. If I were a heavily gigging musician then I would still have it. Phenomenal cleans and anything from tweed to crushing distortion is on tap. Enjoy!

The Roadster rocks...everything you need nothing you don't. I say go for it. Channel 2 on brit sounds good and if you do run a pedal to get more gain I bet it will get close to a good Marshallish sound.

HI Dr GearHead,

The Roadster is versatile.

With four channels and the solo feature, I don't often use pedals. I set the channels up for the sounds I need.

Also, folks can load the Roadster with all EL34's for a tighter, less "boomy" sound, or replace a pair of power tubes with a pair of Yellow Jackets running EL84's to introduce some of that AC30 "janggly/looser" sound into the palette.

I find it can sound very different with different cabs and with different speakers, so that's something to keep in mind as its dailed in.

BigMac5 said:
keep the ace and save $$$ for the Roadster.

I am seriously thinking this is the best way to go. I am pretty sure once the dust settles I would miss my ace.

I have heard the roadster is darker than the standard 3 channel rectos, anyone else find this ? If true this makes me think I may be better of with a regular dual rec in order to help me stand out in the mix better in the band, our other guitarist likes to be loud.

Thanks for all the info so far

Dr GearHead said:
BigMac5 said:
keep the ace and save $$$ for the Roadster.

I am seriously thinking this is the best way to go. I am pretty sure once the dust settles I would miss my ace.

I have heard the roadster is darker than the standard 3 channel rectos, anyone else find this ? If true this makes me think I may be better of with a regular dual rec in order to help me stand out in the mix better in the band, our other guitarist likes to be loud.

Thanks for all the info so far

The roadster can be darker than a dual rec but I love having that 4th channel there as it's just different enough from the 3rd channel for tweaking in that extra heavy sound when you want it.

Dr GearHead said:
I was also wondering how many of you guys boost, I am not a fan with the ace but think the added mids and less bass of my maxon 808 may be a different story with the roadster.
man boosting the roadster with a maxon od808 (when i say boost i mean like 0 gain,10 level, tone w.e you want kinda deal) will make that amp friggin sing! if you play heavy stuf, i dont care what anyone else says, maxon od808 and roadster is a win (for the heavy stuff) now do you meen boosting as in when ever your on distortion the boost is on or do u meen just for soloing? because im talking about when ever the amps on your heaviest channel you have the maxon on the whole time

Latest posts

Back