I owe my Triaxis an apology

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
in recent months like most of us I have grown somewhat bored with my various rigs and amps including my main rig which includes a triaxis and 20/20 power amp.

i've had my triaxis for about 11 years and used to play it live all the time. the last couple of years I've added a Marshall JVM and an Egnater rebel 20 to have to tinker around with and take out live....but at my core I'm still a Boogie man. But I grew tired of carrying around rack gear so the triaxis is mostly my main studio piece.

BUT since I've gotten used to using actual "amps" when playing live instead of rack gear I got all jacked up wanting to get me a Mark V head. I got to briefly jam on a combo once beofre and liked it pretty well.

That leads up to a few days ago....I got visit a music store that had a Mark V head in stock and rectifier cab like mine and so I got to hook it up and really jam for a long time....the store was empty while I was there.....just me and the salesmen who left me alone.

as I jammed I kept thinking "man that sonds good....now let me try this mode" etc.....everything sounded real good. no complaints with the Mark V at all. but as I kept playing to my ears I started realizing that this head didnt really offer much beyond what I already had....and in some cases maybe didnt offer as much as I already have not only in features but in TONE as well. it made me relaize just how awesome my triaxis is and that it's time to start over fresh and breathe some new life into it adn getting to jam on the Mark V may have opened my eyes to that fact.....time to go jam now!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent thread.

I've been looking at other amps recently (ENGL and Carvin specifically) and keep thinking they've got something I'm missing. Then I plug into the TriAxis/395 and remember that there's nothing missing at all.

I own a Mark V as well and I thought the same thing. The Triaxis offers so much versatility. It's truly an amazing piece of digital/analog guitar technology. Nothing comes close to matching it. Yeah, ENGL has a pretty cool preamp but it lacks the classic Mesa Mark IIC+ tone, the ultra clear and ever so practical LED's, and takes up twice the space. I love the Mark V, but it too would take up twice the space if I racked it. For two mesa Triaxis preamps I get 256 presets. Can ENGL give me 256 presets? Nope. Can the Mark V give me 256 presets? Nope.

The Mesa Triaxis is the greatest preamp ever made. Bar none.

MesaGod666 said:
I own a Mark V as well and I thought the same thing. The Triaxis offers so much versatility. It's truly an amazing piece of digital/analog guitar technology. Nothing comes close to matching it. Yeah, ENGL has a pretty cool preamp but it lacks the classic Mesa Mark IIC+ tone, the ultra clear and ever so practical LED's, and takes up twice the space. I love the Mark V, but it too would take up twice the space if I racked it. For two mesa Triaxis preamps I get 256 presets. Can ENGL give me 256 presets? Nope. Can the Mark V give me 256 presets? Nope.

And I will forever hate myself for selling mine.

256 presets? I am happy with just 6 presets and they all sound excellent! :D

ryjan said:
GAS is a terrible thing. Keep the Triaxis, get a 2:90! :twisted:

lol.....you are probably right.....my buddy has a 290 with his triaxis and is sounds awesome. but i do love my 20/20....i'm a big fan of el 84's but it would be nice to add the 290 for some options.

I have but the outmost respect for the triaxis! It is really a unique piece very well thought out. Still for me it was something of a non keeper because I only liked one mode and nothing else. And that mode was lead 2 yellow. And it was the mode that my studio preamp did in a slightly but audibly "better" way (less compressed more open, breathy airy etc)...So I kept the studio preamp.

Now I am thinking to also add a GSP 1101 (amazing...and I am not talking about the effects) for clean and some marshall sounds which if I am to ellaborate to I pick up the JMP-1 by my buddy...

If only the triaxis did a bit better cleans and marshallesque rock tones...

But nothing can't touch it for sound quality/versatility/ease of use all at the same time. Steep price though!

giorikas81 said:
I have but the outmost respect for the triaxis! It is really a unique piece very well thought out. Still for me it was something of a non keeper because I only liked one mode and nothing else. And that mode was lead 2 yellow. And it was the mode that my studio preamp did in a slightly but audibly "better" way (less compressed more open, breathy airy etc)...So I kept the studio preamp.

Now I am thinking to also add a GSP 1101 (amazing...and I am not talking about the effects) for clean and some marshall sounds which if I am to ellaborate to I pick up the JMP-1 by my buddy...

If only the triaxis did a bit better cleans and marshallesque rock tones...

But nothing can't touch it for sound quality/versatility/ease of use all at the same time. Steep price though!

I have the newer version (2009 build) and the cleans sound awfully close to the Lonestar.

my tri is over ten years old and I have always been able to get real nice cleans out of it as well.

Hey I am new to this board, thought I would say hello...

That is a funny story. I was in the same boat last week after trying out a Mark V at my local music store. I played with it for a while and fell in love, until I looked at the price tag...$2500+tax!
So I came home plugged into the triaxis, and said F@#% the Mark V. The triaxis has so many options at the touch of your foot... Mark I, IIC+, III, IV, Dual Rec.. what more does someone need ??
Anyway it was a good story. Long live The Triaxis!!!

MesaGod666 said:

Actually ENGL can give you 256 presets. The E580 has 256 presets, but like you said, it's lacking that IIC+ tone.

I like the tones I have heard from Engl amps, but the price tag.... especially to try and get one in Canada.$5000 lol, although the E530 sounds pretty good as well, and doesn't cost much. I am happy with my Boogie gear, it gives me what I need.

Back