I need some Delay advice!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using my Nova System, but find it to be a little overkill for what I want.
I would like to have very similar delays and I love the Tap function of the Nova.

Should I get a Nova Delay?
I don't like huge things on the floor, and really don't want anything that is overly complex. :lol: But....the G-System looks really cool!

What do you guys suggest?

I need something that is sturdy, can have a drink spilled on it occasionally, and can hold up to 3 little boys that think they're rock stars!

The Nova delay is suspiciously mighty....I dont know about spilling beverages, but its definately got the 3 kids covered....
Its a great pedal.

Laskyman

Love the Nova Delay, however I'm sending it back this week for repair as all of a sudden it got really noisy (digital sounding humm, very annoying). Other than that it does the job. It's a bit... complex though, but when there's that many features on a pedal, it's to be expected.

when you say stand up to drinks being poured on it, I have to go Boss - either their gigadelay or single pedal delay pedals. I've graduated from Boss and Line6 and am on to Eventide, but I must say the Boss' sound really good and can put up with anything for years. Someone hit my pa speaker and an entire 16 oz beam/coke fell right on top of my gigadelay and it worked fine for another year until I sold it to upgrade. It was a little sticky, but functioned fine. Last year someone dropped an entire drink on my bandmates Blues Driver and it was fine. It's been true over the years with Boss effects - maybe they design them to know you're going to spill drinks on them gigging (that would be an obviously brilliant thing to do). I've always said that at the end of time, the only thing still living will be cockroaches, Keith Richards and Boss effects.

:D Thanks Jab,

I don't really know why I care about spillage! I've had 2 gigs in the last 6 1/2 years. Kind of layed off of it when our 1st son was born.

I am getting really restless though and need to get a band situation back into my life.

How did you like the Line 6? I know lots of people who love them, but they always seem to be broken!
I've been looking at the Eventide too, but want something that is easy for a non-delay type of guy to absorb. Plus, I want to keep the pedal space down just a bit!

This one? : http://carlmartin.com/product%20delayla%20xl.htm
got it myself. Nice delay! Godd build quality, tap function. Really like mine!
b.r. andershoeg

edit: forgot to mention, that the Delayla XL also works great in a parallel loop! Been using mine in my single recto and f30 loop, both parallel. Not all delays do that!

I'm not a huge delay man but I found one that I like. It's small, simple and sounds very good.
Guyatone MD-3

http://www.guyatone.com/Md2.php

No tap function though.

Monstatone: I thought the Line6 sounded great, but it was temperamental. Sometimes it would just power off on its own, and the footswitches started acting up too. Sometimes it was hard to turn it on/off with one stomp. So I have to put that in the "not recommended" file. One thing I recommend is getting a delay that has modulation (adds a chorus effect to the delay). There's more and more of that showing up out there such as on the smaller Line 6 pedal, Gigadelay, mxr carbon copy, eventide, etc. I don't think I could live without the modulation as it really adds a cool dimension to the delay.

A superb "tap"-able delay is The DLS EchoTap: rugged, up to 3 secs., and in a tuff box.
With mod capability & verb at the same time: test out the Glass Nexus by Damage Control.
Both the above boxes have true bypass, stereo capability but no batteries: strictly AC.

You can try an Ibanez DE-7. Great delay pedal for dirt cheap. Some of them have funky switches but they fixed the problems with the newer ones. Has a digital and "echo" modes. The echo mode is glorious, it rivals pedals twice its price.

jab said:
when you say stand up to drinks being poured on it, I have to go Boss - either their gigadelay or single pedal delay pedals. I've graduated from Boss and Line6 and am on to Eventide, but I must say the Boss' sound really good and can put up with anything for years. Someone hit my pa speaker and an entire 16 oz beam/coke fell right on top of my gigadelay and it worked fine for another year until I sold it to upgrade. It was a little sticky, but functioned fine. Last year someone dropped an entire drink on my bandmates Blues Driver and it was fine. It's been true over the years with Boss effects - maybe they design them to know you're going to spill drinks on them gigging (that would be an obviously brilliant thing to do). I've always said that at the end of time, the only thing still living will be cockroaches, Keith Richards and Boss effects.

Totally spot on about the Boss FX... my SD-1 has had enough drinks over the years to qualify for AA meetings!

My money is also on the Eventide... amazing unit

:D Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the great input. In the end, I went for the G-System. It's not necessarily easier, but it's a hell of a lot less clutter on the floor and it will change channels on both of the amps I'll be using.

I've decided to go stereo, with my ROV behind me and my DC-5 on the other side with the bass player. Should sound really huge!

Latest posts

Back