I need amp advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
Ok here is what I have:
Mesa 3 chan Dual Rect and Rectifier 4x12 cab, all my guitars are loaded with EMG's.

Here is what I play:
From Southern Rock to Heavy Metal (think Metallica not dudes drenched in blood painting their faces)

I love my Dual Rect but it's really getting to the point where I feel it is a one trick pony. It could be that I just should try a complete retube from like JJ or Doug before getting rid of it, but I'm just not feeling it is a very versatile amp. I am looking for something that has a lot of versatility, can get some really good cleans out of it as well as a nice thick high gain too. I have been leaning towards the Mark IV but due to my location I am limited to what I can try out in person. I would like some opinions and reviews from you guys before I drop the bomb and buy something on a whim.

So in YOUR opinion what is the best amp that covers the bases? Don't say Road King cause my wife will kick my butt if I splurge on that lol.

I'd say check out a Stiletto (stage II) or the Mark IV you've already listed. Those would seem to fit the bill nicely for you.

I would say try a guitar without EMG's in it. You will probably never be happy with a clean tone on any tube amp with them. All my 7 strings have parallel/series dimarzio pups on them and sound amazing through my 3 channel DR. I also did the E34L high gain full retube kit through eurotubes plus the GZ34 rectifier tubes, and it really made it sound how I wanted it to. I've always loved the clean tones on my DR and thought they were amazing for a high gain amp, but once again if you play anything equipped with EMG's it won't sound nearly as good in my experience, I'm not saying they aren't good pups, but I could never get a good sound out of them.

BigMesa said:
What about the Triaxis and a Simul-Class 2:90?

+10000000000000000000000000000000

If your after the Hetfield tone with much more go this route.... you will not be disappointed...... plus if your a musician who uses a lot of effects its a great option to just pic up a good rack fx unit like the rocktron xpression or g-minor you get rid of the pedal dance and the **** thing stores 128 channels..... if thats not your thing you still have the most complete tone machine out there..... you get all the Mark IV and Mark IIC+ tones plus you can get **** near close the recto tones.... i had the phat mod in mine which was basically the recto channel 2 on vintage mode.... with that plus the awesome programed post-eq you can get the most brutal tones out of the thing..... if that is the road your going down make sure you get the Mesa 2:90 power amp because they were built around one another.... it lets you control the power control switches which can take you from deep, half-driven, to modern power..... this is definitely not your one trick pony.... plus if you look hard enough you can probably get both for under 1400 ( i got my triaxis for 700 and 2:90 for 600)..... also might i note that hetfield uses about 5 of these suckers for touring....most of the amps on stage are just for show

what channels are you using??

For cleans, obviously channel 1. Metal, channel 3. But for that southern rock, i'd try channel 2 RAW mode. Sometimes people forget how nice Raw mode can sound.

A used Road King Series I would also do everything you're describing. If you were going to sell your current Rectifier, then the price difference wouldn't be so great.

I also like the Triaxis setup. I've got the 2:100 and a Peavey Valverb in a five space rack. Pretty simple.

But for the sake of cost, the RK Series I would make you feel a lot better about your sound.

But...what if Metallica drenched themselves in blood and painted their faces?

What amp then?

I could care less what amps they play, I was just pointing out that the Metal styles my band plays is along the lines of Metallica (Black - Load era). I guess some would call that Heavy Rock and not metal so I just wanted to calrify 8)

Which is more versatile, the Road King or the Mark IV?

BigMesa said:

you are comparing apple and oranges. the mkIV and RKII are both the most versatile amp that Mesa currently produces....they just have totally differnet functions.
although, a review said that with the right dial, you can achive a Mark lead on the RK ;)

BigMesa said:
But...what if Metallica drenched themselves in blood and painted their faces?

What amp then?

I could care less what amps they play, I was just pointing out that the Metal styles my band plays is along the lines of Metallica (Black - Load era). I guess some would call that Heavy Rock and not metal so I just wanted to calrify 8)

Just funnin' mang! :lol:

Latest posts

Back