I need a new guitar....so help me out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
I am not waiting anymore for a guitar that i bought back in september which has never arrived. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get my money back as the guy seems pretty bad about the whole ordeal. Anyway, basically what I am looking for is a guitar that has function over beauty. I need a guitar that will be reliable, relatively easy to play (this is too subjective i know), have a solid tone, stay in tune, and not cost an arm and a leg. I live in Japan so all of the Japanese made guitars are at my disposal but I was thinking about possibly an LP studio with ebony board or PRS CE 22/24. Keeping the cost around $1k would be best.

To any PRS gurus.. is the bridge on the CE 22/24 useable or does it go out of tune like on an off the shelf strat? I would like to get rid of my Ibanez if it is useable (although i don't use it much it would be nice to know i can). I also read that the 94 and back are the "Pre Factory" guitars and seem to be fetching more mullah on the bay'. Are the pre factory guitars worth the extra bucks or is it a bragging rights thing?

The difference between the Cu 24 and 22's seems to the set neck vs bolt on. Is there a huge difference in tone between the two?

Are there any guitars that are comparable or of higher quality that i should be looking at?

Greg

I have been looking at Parker Fly guitars lately too (either Classic or Deluxe) and will probably try to hunt one down here in Japan to try out.

Greg

I think the parker is the best compromise for having the set neck, bridge that can float, be locked down, or operate like a strat trem, and for having the built in piezo. The prices for the used parkers aren't that bad so I will probably buy one and if i like it get rid of my RG.

Some say they lack soul or whatever but the same can probably be said for my RG. I just don't want to hunt down a bunch of different guitars that don't play well. Almost every reviewer has raved about how well the guitar plays regardless if they liked the tone or not.

I only own 1 neck through guitar and it is currently in storage. I just hope I find something that suites me well so I can quit window shopping.

Greg

Do You need Classic sound
Just for kicks :)
Check out a Eric Johnson Stratocaster, or 50's Gibson Reissues Im' play'n a '56 LP Gold top as well these are my toys 8) Playing is just my hobby of course :lol:

I really like my Ibanez PM-120 using lighter guage flatwound or medium guage nickel round wound Right now I 'm trying out Gibson L-5's The next string change will be to GHS Ni burnished Medium .011 - .050

best of luck

I am about to bite the bullet on a Parker Fly Classic (mahogony body) but thanks for the suggestions. I just can't afford to buy a hit or miss guitar. My Ibanez RG550 will probably be for sale shortly after I buy the Fly.

Greg

Stop kidding yourself and buy a Ernie Ball Music Man..........................Best made guitar for the money.

In Japan - I would go Tokai. Either a Love Rocks or SG or if you need more versitility then a Japanes Fender with a humbucker in the bridge.

The most versitile but expense would be a EBMM Axis SS.

I need to try a different guitar as I have been doing the LP and strat style guitars for years and they just aren't doing it for me.

At this point I want to try something radically different (IE the parker) to see where that gets me. If it doesn't inspire me then I will probably get out of it what I put into it since they have a good resale value.

I hear ya on the Tokais and know a few people here really into them but in the end it's the same design that I have been using for years and I really need something different. I played a Tokai tele and wasn't too impressed (it didn't make me want to get rid of my US tele copy anyway) so I am going to "stay the course" with the parker and see where it takes me.

Thanks for the replies!

Greg

I owna Parker Fly. You cant beat the parkers set up, it truely is reveloutionary. the bridge and whammy system on that guitar coupled with the locking tuners make it NEVER go out of tune. I can beat the hell outa it and it stays perfectly intonated. The features are cool, however the stock PUPs that came in mine sound kinda dead. my EC strat sounds WAY fuller.

The glass fretboard on the parkers is extremly fast. no friction at all and the action is nice.

I still use the Strat more tho. The parker just kinda sounds dead tone wise at times.

it's still a kick *** guitar.

The cool thing about the deal with my guitar is it came with the newer dimarzio pickups (as well as the old ones) which are supposed to be "better" sounding. Also, the Fly classic is made of mahagony and is neck through. I can always go for the strat after I try the Parker but I hope it gets me where I want to be as far as quality and tone.

That's another thing.....you mentioned playability.....just about every guitar i have owned felt "off" to me in the playability department regardless of who set it up. My guitars would feel great one day and bad the next so i want something that I know won't contribute to my playability issues. At this point i need to focus on improving more than anything.

Greg

Too bad I jumped on this thread so late. I was going to suggest Sugi guitars. He has left Ibanez and made some incredible guitars, oh well, maybe next time....

Have you tried a PRS CE or CU? I have played a lot of guitars. Some very nice ones but I can't put my PRS down. It wa slike "this is what I've been missing" feeling. I DO play better than I ever have. And it also has re-energized me to learn new techiniques and scales. I can't wait to get home to play it now just thinking about it.

On another note. I also now have a USA Jackson SL1. I hope it will be the "other " guitar I wont be able to keep my hands off of. It is being setup at the moment at the shop.

When I pop down to the local shop I will see if my buddy is working so he can let me try some PRS guitars(it's really hard to communicate effectively with people that don't understand what you are saying). The Parker should be in the mail either today or early next week some time. Like I said, if the parker isn't what it is hyped up to be then I will try a different route. I just like that everything is included in 1 package (fixed bridge, vibrato bridge, piezo saddles, neck through, locking tuners, light weight, etc) so this would the guitar for me if it works out.

Greg

The PRSs are beautiful with or without the bolt on neck. What you need to determine is whether you like a wide fat neck, a wide thin neck, or a regular neck, since since different models have different neck availability. To stay close to $1,000 I would look at a used CE 22 or 24, or a used Standard 22 or 24. They go on ebay for a little over $1,000. either would be great. The Standard has a set neck and solid mahogany body with a set neck. The CEs will sound a little brighter than the CUs or Standard. You should be able to find a 95 to 2002 in your price range.

Latest posts

Back