I need a combo!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dag

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a nice combo to play at home. I got my stiletto stack to play my gigs and it does everything in the studio to practice rooms!
The only thing with that beast is that the fucker is to loud and to big to put in my living room. That's why i'm looking for a little combo.
My genre is pretty straight forward rock, ala guns 'n roses but from time to time i like to play some dream theater and stuff like that. In other words
i need something that can do a lot of genres. I expect a bleautiful clean and nice warm, big sounding overdrive/distortion.

Can you guys help me on the way? I love mesa's but you may also recommand other brands. I was thinking of a mark IV combo but that's just a little
above my budget.

greets and thanks
Dag

Most any mesa combo will do, depending on how particular you are. The marks are pretty expensive now that they're out of production.

dag said:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a nice combo to play at home. I got my stiletto stack to play my gigs and it does everything in the studio to practice rooms!
The only thing with that beast is that the f%&# is to loud and to big to put in my living room. That's why i'm looking for a little combo.
My genre is pretty straight forward rock, ala guns 'n roses but from time to time i like to play some dream theater and stuff like that. In other words
i need something that can do a lot of genres. I expect a bleautiful clean and nice warm, big sounding overdrive/distortion.

Can you guys help me on the way? I love mesa's but you may also recommand other brands. I was thinking of a mark IV combo but that's just a little
above my budget.

greets and thanks
Dag

Since you already know about the Stiletto - what about my Ace 1x12? It's emerald/tan and minty fresh... and for sale!

If you are looking for inexpensive Mesa Combos that sound good, you can always look for the following used

DC-5
DC-3
F-50
F-30
Express 5:25
Rect-o-verb (a little more expensive than the others)

I'd say DC5 or DC10 as they get the job done and are affordible

Also outside Mesa I'd say the VHT Pitbull 45, Peavey 6505, Rivera Pubster 45 (maybe with an OD infront), or even a Marshall TSL combo (all used of course). If it doesnt have to be a tube amp i think the Spider Valve or used Vetta are both great options for a practice amp.

Edit: Just get a DC-5... after re-reading the manual and recalling memories of playing my buddies during college this is the amp that fits the bill both in terms of tone and price. Might even replace your stiletto :wink:

a good cheap alternative is the Peavey Ultra 60 Watt Combo, 3 channels, perfect Rock/80's/90's amp and sounds good at low level. I picked mine up for $250, they normaly sell between $250 and $400. If you look for one just make sure it comes with the footswitch in that price range.
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/WNAMM97/Peavey/Ultra-112.html

dag said:
Hey guys,

The only thing with that beast is that the f%&# is to loud and to big to put in my living room. That's why i'm looking for a little combo.

above my budget.

greets and thanks
Dag

hey guys,

thanks for your reply! Like i said i really love my stiletto, but at low volumes it doesn't really does the job.
I'm gonna check out the DC-5 first now, haven't played one yet. Now the next chellenge is to find one
in Belgium :D

thanks!
Dag

i suggest you go for a stiletto ace combo - if the combo isn't moved frequently its the best choice.
the ace comes with 1 or 2 x 12" speaker. its a closed back so close to what you feel in the rehearsal room.

there are some for sale in the classifieds, actually i would like to buy them all - in my eyes its a millenium combo, some
here say "a keeper"

good luck!

Latest posts

Back