I just scored this off ebay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
Click here

I used to have the head version, but there was some bad internal problem that I couldn't be bothered to fix.

What's everyone's opinion on this amp?

Also, the description said there are five 12AX7's? I thought there was supposed to be some sort of other tube for the reverb or something....

The DC-3 is my favorite Mesa of all time. I haven't tried every single model, but I have owned about 10 different models.

These are great amps, and you got a great price. Congrats.

These amps also love JJ tubes and the Grove Tubes Mullard ReIssue 12AX7's.

I have the DC-3 combo w/Celestion V30 retubed with Eurotubes standard DC3 JJkit w/12AT7 equivalent for reverb. Amazing amp - made me a Mesa fan. Had for about a month and it's getting all the gigs (Z, Vox and Fenders are stacked out of the way). This thing covers an amazing breadth to tones, sounds great quiet and can scream when needed, is very portable and has a small footprint on stage. I love it! Am looking for a head for fly dates.

Nice, hopefully I'll recieve my DC-3 in a few days!

Actually I think the one I had before was a DC-5, so this might be different.

Also, I'm definetly going to replace all the tubes in this amp, as the seller said they're around 10 months old...And this amp apparently gets real hot.

JJ power amp tubes for sure, but should I go for JJ pre amp tubes also?

No groove tubes mullard RI's in stock at the moment.

James said:
JJ power amp tubes for sure, but should I go for JJ pre amp tubes also?

Yes, try a full compliment of JJs. Visit www.eurotubes.com/ and look for their retube kits. There are 3 available for the DC-3 with various ranges of gain. As mentioned, I went with the general setup (+AT7 for reverb) and it sounded so SO much better than the stock tubes...smoother gain and more of it as well. Complete retube was well under $100 too. If you have questions, Bob is great at answering (phone or email).

DW

In my DC-2, I'm using all JJ's. It has 2 EL-84's. I got the High Gain Kit from Bob @ Eurotubes.

In my DC-3, I'm using the High Gain JJ tube kit from the Mark IV that I sold a few months ago. It only had 5 Preamp Tubes, so I ended up using a GT Mullard Reissue for V1. This also has JJ Power Tubes.

Both amps sound amazing. I think the DC-3 with the Mullard has a better clean channel. If you find that your clean channel suffers because you went with the High Gain tubes, replace V4 with a lower Gain tube. I used an NOS GE for a while in V4 of my DC-3. This made the Clean channel amazing.

The amp does get hot. I would use a fan at gigs. Just a standard oscillating fan will do the trick. I thought about putting a fan in the cab, but it's pretty tight in there. I will probably end up replacing the Power Tube board with Point to Point wiring and chassis mounted tube sockets. This won't make it run any cooler, but it will definitely make it able to handle more heat for longer periods of time.

Got it today :D

I put some new JJ EL-84's in it, but I don't have cash for pre amp tubes at the moment.

It sounds quite nice!

It gets so hot, I might have to put a fan in back of it or something

Congrats! I've owned both a DC3 and a DC5 before. The DC3 was one of my favorite amps. The little thing just screamed and sounded great. If I ever run across a decent deal on another one I'll probably pick it up.

I've bought and sold a few amps in my life, but I still have my DC-3 combo. I bought mine new many, many years ago and I'll never sell it. It's awesome.

Congrats on the amp. Great price too :)

Thanks

I cranked my DC-3 today, and it sounds even better.

I have no idea what speaker it has, but it sounds good enough.

I'm probably going to retire my mark II, as this is my new favorite 8)

Also, I haven't changed the pre amp tubes yet! It's running on three chinese 12AX7's, and three GT 12AX7's.

Latest posts

Back