I just joined the pre-500 club! (#98)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhimself

Reaction score
Well, as luck would have it, I scored Dual Rectifier Serial #98 off of craigslist. It sounds pretty darn good! Cosmetically it is certainly not mint, but it has been toured with and used in a studio for the last while. I need to compare it to my Tremoverb that I snagged from 'Themagiceight' which he modded to sound like a pre500. It's definitely close. Look for a video in the next few weeks.

Cam

Sweet man, congrats, I look forward to the comparison video.

I would love to play a pre 500 in person but from what I can tell, my 2 ch triple that I modded to pre 500 specs (same as TheMagicEight) sounds identical to clips recorded of Pre 500's that are miced identically.

Did you get that from around the Greensboro area? I think I know who used to own that head. I didn't know he was selling it! Dang. Nice score man. If memory serves me correctly, one of the guitarists from a band called "Advent" used to own this head as well, if it is the right one.

-AJH

Yeah man, I got it from this younger guy in Greensboro. I just randomly looked on craigslist and there is was. I know it was owned by the guitarist in a band called Beloved. That's as much as I know.

Ahhh Beloved, that is the band, not Advent. Sorry. Cool to see that it ended up going to someone on here. I was quite envious when he got it. It sounded great. My old band played several shows with his band back in the day.

-AJH

And I keep asking: If it sound so great why they keep selling it? Will you sell your dream tone, or it isn't what most people expects? Congrats.

A lot of factors go into it. I have owned a lot of different amps over the years (including #64 Recto) and there are a few that I kick myself for selling. #64, and a VHT G50CL are the ones I wish I still had, but when someone offers you enough money, they get sold.

Maybe they aren't recto people and bought it because of the "hype", or their tastes change. I would say it is more the human factor than the tone of the amp that causes them to be sold. There is no doubt that the Recto introduced a completely unique tone and changed the direction of what amps were being developed for.

Back