I just got an idea...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocknroll9225

Reaction score
This has most likely been thought of/done before, but i was looking around the back of my amp and this just came to me. My understanding of the tuner out feature is that the amp takes a completely dry, unaffected, undistorted sound from the input jack, and sends it out the tuner jack. So, couldn't you daisy chain multiple amps together by plugging the tuner out jack of one amp into the input of the next? then you could run multiple amps together without needing a spitter, and you could still use the tuner out function by sending the last amps tuner out to your tuner. I dont know how much this would degrade the sound quality, but i thought it was a cool idea.

First, I use the tuner out for silent recording (with an appropriate speaker sim box). It's fully distorted if that is what it's set to be. The signal comes from between the preamp and the power amp. Second there is a signal only when you pull on the solo knob or you step on the mute footswitch button. At that moment nothing go to the power amp stage so no sound through the speakers.

LPJunky said:
First, I use the tuner out for silent recording (with an appropriate speaker sim box). It's fully distorted if that is what it's set to be. The signal comes from between the preamp and the power amp. Second there is a signal only when you pull on the solo knob or you step on the mute footswitch button. At that moment nothing go to the power amp stage so no sound through the speakers.
you use the tuner out and its distorted? are you sure you dont mean the slave out? and i believe the slave out comes from the power amp but is padded down to line level. could be wrong about that though. and i just got my amp so i havent really experimented with using a tuner, but i just assumed the signal was constantly present at the tuner jack, and the mute feature is just there so you can tune silently.

well, i just tried this with the tuner out of my mark v going into the input of my marshall jvm, with the mark v muted (on channel 1, fat mode, if that makes a difference), and the jvm on the clean channel, green mode. long story short, i was wrong. to anyone else reading, dont even bother trying this. the jvm gave me sound but it was really distorted and fizzy (not good distortion either, it just kinda sounded like the amp was broken).

LPJunky said:
First, I use the tuner out for silent recording (with an appropriate speaker sim box).

I hope to god you do mean the slave out, because the tuner out sounded nasty. understandably so, though, because it wasnt designed to be heard.

LPJunky said:
The signal comes from between the preamp and the power amp.

If you are referring to the slave out, then that's wrong. I checked, and page 43 of the manual says that the slave out comes from the speaker jack.

LPJunky said:
Second there is a signal only when you pull on the solo knob or you step on the mute footswitch button. At that moment nothing go to the power amp stage so no sound through the speakers.

That's wrong too. I just hooked up my boss tu-3 to the tuner out, and the tuner gets a signal whether the amp's muted or not.

not trying to start any fights or anything, sorry if it sounds like i am. :)

rocknroll9225 said:
That's wrong too. I just hooked up my boss tu-3 to the tuner out, and the tuner gets a signal whether the amp's muted or not.

not trying to start any fights or anything, sorry if it sounds like i am. :)

This is correct. The tuner out sends a signal whenever the amp is on and not in standby, regardless of whether the amp is muted or not.

Oops! I'll trust you checked and the sound is always there on the tuner out with or without the MUTE engaged. Anyhow, IF you'd keep the speakers active of course you would benefit from the Slave Out which OF COURSE comes from the speaker's signal.

And for the rest, I stand by the comments I wrote. Been using the tuner out signal for silent recording for a year and a half now. Always hi-gain use = decent results. Obviously, you need a speaker sim box/treatment for using the TUNER OUT but its seems like a good compromise to be able to play/record at night.

Latest posts

Back