I have a question about the eq on my mpulse 600

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necroticjon

Reaction score
I have been trying to mess with the 5 band eq on the mpulse 600 to get a sort of bass tone that Steve Digiorgio uses.

Since I have started messing with it I can't get rid of this tone that sounds lifeless. Any help on ways I can make it sound better I would appreciate it. I can't figure out this eq stuff to save me.

I don't have that amp, but for starters, try turning every EQ knob back to center. That'll get you close to a "flat" EQ which is a good place to start.
Then you have to use your ears and make small adjustments at each frequency till you're happy with the tone. With most quality amps, you won't need to adjust much of anything, and close to flat should be pretty close right off.
Not much help, but it's up to you to determine what you want to hear.

i agree. with an extensive eq section like the mesa's, you can get "lost" in a hurry. go back to flat and go slow and listen for what the controls really do. also with bass especially, your technique will play a huge role in the sound you get. practice, practice, practice.

do the same on your bass as well.

I play with zero mids on my bass.

My mpulse 600 is 12 o'clock minus highs and lows which are at 11 o'clock.

Back when i was playing bass it took me a really long time to dial the para-eq into a sound i was happy with.......just put all the knobs at 0 and start tweaking one at a time untill you get a feel for what that band does then move on to the next. If you put the time into learning that eq you will find some useable sounds with it!

Good luck!!

Also in the back of you mpulse manual there are some suggestions.
Try them out.

I picked one and modified it to my liking.

There are so many possibilities with the m-pulse 600. I think finding a great sound includes a combination of strings, guitar EQ, Gain, Bass, Mid, Treb, 5-Band EQ, Compression, and main volume. Focus on the sound that makes you feel like a bad @ss bass player. Try standing at different distances from your amp from 4 feet up to 10.

At times I have found I dig a sound that doesn't even include the 5-band EQ. Just tubes and compression. When adding the 5-band EQ, start at the middle one night and at the extremes several days later. Don't limit your sound possibilities by pigeon-holing yourself. I use a Powerhouse 1000 and when I turn up the low tone 40Hz it is accomodated well. Try some extreme settings on the 5-band and allow time for the new tone to be comprehended. If the amp has different settings, adjustment them on the amp, if applicable.

I have also swaped out various tubes to adjust variences in tone. But I always seem to come back to the ax12's. Thicker and meatier. All I can say is that it seems I am never satiated or satisfied with one tone and am in constant search for "the one tone to rule them all". Don't quit. Good luck.

Great point on the strings...

I never thought about the strings making that much till I used a buddy's bass with stainless steel DRs on them. (same bass I use)
The had such a bad after ring/ over tone on them, I didn't like them.

I think I'll stick with my ernie balls regular slinky's

Latest posts

Back