I guess I don't understand the hype of the MkIIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Reaction score
Is it the rarity of the amp ?? :?:

You would think if they hit on that good of a tone formula, they wouldn't have ditched it, but milked it even further with the MkIII series. :evil: ... but apparently, they didn't.

:shock:

+ 1 although I have to admit that the DR's are strongly growing on me ... :D . I wonder how false it would be to say that the true successor of the MKIIC+ is the early twin channel DR rather then the MKIII ?

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
Is it the rarity of the amp ?? :?:

You would think if they hit on that good of a tone formula, they wouldn't have ditched it, but milked it even further with the MkIII series. :evil: ... but apparently, they didn't.

:shock:

Milked it ? Between the MK III and MK IV Mesa has probably sold 40,000 amps since 1985 based on the same basic preamp as the C+.

I would say that cow is still producing.

bigmouth said:
+ 1 although I have to admit that the DR's are strongly growing on me ... :D . I wonder how false it would be to say that the true successor of the MKIIC+ is the early twin channel DR rather then the MKIII ?

I don't think anyone will be able to overthrow the IIC+ and it will only get worse as the amount being sold gets smaller. It's unique enough and rare enough to stand the test of time. They are investments now.

The Rev. C Dual Rectifiers were Mesa's foray into a different direction of high gain. They use a much more Marshall/ Soldano style in the preamp and put the tone controls at the end of the gain. The whole goof of the early DR's is that they were made to shred, but as they were introduced, the music industry decided to shift and the amps were revoiced to fit the new genre. They are much tighter and smoother than the regular run of the mill DR's and I could easily see how their gain can be very comlimentary to the C+. They both have a certain smoothness to the tone. My current setup has been running a IIC+ or MK III Green Stripe in stereo with the 92 DR. It's just unreal running running a Simul along with the DR in the Red channel. Switching to the Orange channel and the C+ results in some sick tone.

They sound great but I cannot attest to the amazingness - I've only played one for a short period of voice-coil destroying colisseum mayhem.

I had a loaded red stripe MKIII. Clean, low gain, high gain sounded OK but it didn't do anything really well. I sent to to Mesa and had Mike B. convert it to C+ spec's. It sounded different when I got it back but still just OK.

A good C+ will give you beautiful pristine cleans to incredible high gain sounds and everything in-between.

My approach is buy and sell ....till you get that desiried Mesa tone ...
If you get a good un keep it and don't part with it ,to be honest i've had a few now and only have the one now a 60 watt (Super Sixty ) with very low miles ...
Has anyone ever noticed too that ....1992 -93Mark IV's are just amazing better components internally pots etc and tone to die for than the ....blah blah these days

STUART said:
My approach is buy and sell ....till you get that desiried Mesa tone ...
If you get a good un keep it and don't part with it ,to be honest i've had a few now and only have the one now a 60 watt (Super Sixty ) with very low miles ...
Has anyone ever noticed too that ....1992 -93Mark IV's are just amazing better components internally pots etc and tone to die for than the ....blah blah these days

We shall see. My Mark IVB is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. I currently have a Mark IVA from 11/90 that sound glorious.

phyrexia said:
They sound great but I cannot attest to the amazingness - I've only played one for a short period of voice-coil destroying colisseum mayhem.
thanks to your help,however, my coli is more amazing than what it was when we went "down south"-the cleans are what really kick my arse....that, in conjunction with the mid to high gain tones-with a coli, you can really touch a lot of tones -different wattages/different cabs,etc-meow says the cat!btw..I am currently blending the coli with a triple rec...going thru g system-Mkiv for stereo hugeness...weeeeee! :p

I am starting to have Recto gas more than Mark gas lately. Something must be wrong. ;)

Now, just fucking around, I found that when you combine a Recto and a Mark amp you have to be careful or the Recto will drown out the Mark. Rectos seem to have a lot more high and low end. Have you experienced that? I was using a IV and a DR, fwiw.

uh heh </threadjack>

Allow me to redirect this thread. The only sound that I prefer to my C+ is a pair of them in stereo. I went down the buy and sell method of 3 channel Mark series and even dabbled into the Mark/Recto stereo setup(using the Recto to fatten up the low end). I think that the C+ may not be the perfect amp for every Boogie lover. If you are wanting a gigging amp to play in a cover band, the MkIV may better suit your needs. If you don't mind the "tone twiddler" method of adjusting your guitar volume knob, tone knob, and pickup selector switch to get the desired tones, give the C+ a try. It says a lot that there are members on here who own both the C+ and MkIV. There must be a good reason that they own both, and it's not about hype. :D

Latest posts

Back