I got a Thiele Cab with an EVM 12L

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
I bought a used, no-name Thiele Cab with an original (not reissue) EVM 12L and just hooked it up with my combo tonight. I didn't get a chance to crank it, as my kid and wife are asleep. Still, even playing at whisper volumes, it's obvious that there's a lot more bass on tap now. I can feel more thump with the Mark IV mode, and I can turn the presence knob and 6600 Hz slider higher with good results. I also found that the bass slider (80 hz) is more useful now. The combo just couldn't handle higher settings of it usefully on its own.

photo-4.jpg

I hear nothing but good things about that speaker with the Mark series. I've been through V30's, C90's and currently C Rex's. I'm thinking of slapping two EVM12L's in my Port City cab. Just need to save up some more. And I have a feeling my speaker search will end there. Glad you're liking it!

I'm thinking about ordering a widebody closed back cab. Maybe I should request a EVM speaker in it...

Glad you are enjoying it!

I got to play it a little more loudly for a short time before work today. The sound is definitely fuller and thicker. In fact, I'm even considering going back to 6L6s now, because the new set up can handle more top end (and presence) than just the combo by itself.

The speakers / cabinet can make a huge difference with this amp. Night and day.

phyrexia said:
Mesa does not sell EVM 12L speakers anymore.

The TL806 thiele cab is quite right :) :lol:

Figures...

I guess I'll try that widebody cab with the C90, and decide if I should put the EVM in it later on. Sadly no one around has a EVM :(

Another report:

Mark I mode, set for metal, sounds really good now. The new speaker and cab can handle the bass easily.

(Here's one way I dial Mark I for metal:

10 watts
preset eq at 11
thick
G 1:30
M: 5:30 (all the way up)
P: 1:30-3:00 depending on guitar
T: 5:00
M: close to off
B: off )

Latest posts

Back