i god **** hate!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonge

Reaction score
These fucking power tube sockets on the mark series. Just pulled a pin (makes it the 3rd time this has happened) out while I was trying to reach the impossible fucking preamp tubes. yay!!!!!!!! I wish they only made long chasises that were upside down (like marshalls). I am truely pissed!

Is it a head ? I plan to build a head and a cabinet or two and make the front of the head (grill area) removable to facilitate /enable my preamp tube swapping fetish .... Plus , I'm tired of carrying this beastly combo around.
:lol:
I feel you pain .

mesa wised up with the newer mark IV's and made the front pannel removable with velcrow, so you just pull of the cover, and there are all the pre amp tubes in easy reach.

JimAnsell said:
mesa wised up with the newer mark IV's and made the front pannel removable with velcrow, so you just pull of the cover, and there are all the pre amp tubes in easy reach.

Bingo! I got a 2007 model and "discovered" this feature while trying to get to the preamps. My hand hit into the faceplate from inside and it popped off. At first, I was like THAT THE?

Then I was psyched. :)

It's the four prongs that hold the tube socket to the mounting. The brown phenolic sockets used on the IIC and some early C+'s would become loose after years of wiggling and once the socket was loose, it allows the pins to move much more than a secure socket. In a short period of time the pins get bent back and forth to the point where they snap and the pin slides out.
You have to tighten the four prongs down with a flat head screw driver and hammer them gently back to make a secure socket. The late C+'s switched to a ceramic socket and they do not move, period. If you have old power tube sockets, pull one of the pins and replace the broken one and secure the prongs. It's easier and cheaper than a full replacement of all the power tube sockets.

Boogiebabies said:
It's the four prongs that hold the tube socket to the mounting. The brown phenolic sockets used on the IIC and some early C+'s would become loose after years of wiggling and once the socket was loose, it allows the pins to move much more than a secure socket. In a short period of time the pins get bent back and forth to the point where they snap and the pin slides out.
You have to tighten the four prongs down with a flat head screw driver and hammer them gently back to make a secure socket. The late C+'s switched to a ceramic socket and they do not move, period. If you have old power tube sockets, pull one of the pins and replace the broken one and secure the prongs. It's easier and cheaper than a full replacement of all the power tube sockets.

i've fixed this for him that way twice, and i'm sure i'll be doing it a third time.
its a pain in the ***. :lol:
pretty soon we're gunna run out of extra pins.

My '84 broke a solder joint on the power board (two months ago) because of the tight pin, loose socket issue. When it was out west at Boogie(two years ago), I had one tube socket replaced. I talked to Mike about ceramic tube sockets for the power tubes, and declined based on cost. If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent the money. :(

It really is a goddamn pain in the ***. Ask Jim..he's my tech lol!!

Back