I found a small tube "stash".

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Finding older production preamp tubes is always a nice thing. The Telefunkens are especially a nice find. The Sylvania is no slouch either though. The Sylvania will certainly bring the amp to life. You have already heard what the Telefunkens will do. Telefunkens are really nice tubes and as you have found they are not only for audio applications but also nice for guitar amps. Those tubes can fetch some nice returns should you decide that they are not for you. Congrats on your find.

As long as they are 12ax7s then you should be fine. They may have been ecc83 or ecc803 as Telefunkens. If you find a dramatic decrease then you may have a different 9 pin mini on your hands. If they work then I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility because 12ax7 types are pretty common in the hi-fi world. Even if you have a 5751, 12at7, 12ay7, 12au7, or other tube type I would say it won't kill your amp. On the other hand if your 9 pin is not a 12 volt heater then you may have a problem waiting to happen. If your 9 pin tubes are not of the twin triode variety then you will just be lacking the second side of the tube and therefore it's function in the amp. At that it might not function but if you replace the tube with a twin triode then you will return funtionalilty.

i'm using 40y old philips miniwatt tubes (12ax7 in all positions except a mesa 12ax7 in reverb and a philips miniwatt 12at7 in the phasesplitter)

the sound is phenomenal, but i want to replace the tubes with something else, before the start to fail

the first time I found some tubes I was really excited, but after I found at least 200 tubes in an old audio storage I think that I will not more excited with that kind of situations :D
of course the 200 tubes where all for RF and only a few for guitar amps :(

I only tested the audio tubes and they was in good conditions, even I give some tubes ecc88 ( avalon and other audio equipments ) totally free because I have so many tubes and my home is very little :(

the national nos are from my private collection, I could sell you for 12 euros, all the other tubes are for free, the tubes I could gift you are not for audio, are only RF they aren´t useful for guitars and they are only for collecters, with boxes with 30 years.
of course I could send you a general packet, with audio tubes ( not free ) and RF tubes ( totally free ) if you are looking for any RF model explicit say it to me and I will take a look for you. I could also gift you ecc88 for avalon equipments and some el86 near to the el84. Audio tubes must been sold, but RF tubes are a present for you

If the tubes you found are genuine Telefunken, there will be a diamond on the bottom of the tube, right in the middle of the circle of pins. You can't miss it. Some of those old Telefunken tubes were designed to run for over 10,000 hrs!!! LOL!!! They kick ***.

Thanks I checked and all 3 have the diamond. Still using one in V1 and considering another in V2 to see how it affects lead tone. Hey why not experiment!!

Great score!! Tele tubes are wonderful. If you really like the Telefunken sound and don't want to spend $200 a tube, check out the Tesla (not JJ) E83CC. It is a Tele replica and for the life of me, I can tell no difference. At $50 a shot, it is a steal on the NOS tube market.

If you look at the gray plate inside the tube, you will see what look like ribs (ribbed) if it is smooth, you hit the jackpot. Here is an example...granted none of these are real Telefunken, but it does demonstrate clearly what I am talking about.

TubeCompare.jpg

The one on the far left is a ribbed plate Mullard, the one on the far right is a smooth plate EI. The smooth plate Tele is the jackpot IMHO. Not that the ribbed is any sort of slouch..it isn't. I just think the smooth plate Tele has a magnificent upper midrange harmonic content that has never been equaled.

Look at the gray structures inside the amp. If there is no real shape other than the metal itself as softly folded then they are smooth. If there are any corrugated type shapes pressed into the metal structures then they are ribbed.

Latest posts

Back