I Bent a Tube Pin Socket Lug in my RKII...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudBucket

Reaction score
While replacing a power tube in my RKII, I somehow bent one of the lugs in the 6L6 tube socket. I'm having a hard time straightening it out. Anyone have any ideas in terms of tools that would make this easier?

Thanks.

Dave

Had same prob on my RKI when I first got it but it was with a pre-amp tube socket. It is a royal ***** to change pre-amp tubes because you cant see what you're doing. I took the chassis out of the shell to be able to see what it looked like. To fix it, I took an icepick and gently straightened out the socket, worked very well. I could not have done this with the shell on. I like to mix up my tube combinations frequently so the shell stays off all the time. The RKI pre-amp tube sockets are on the circuit board, are they like that on the RKII as well?

Thanks HS.

I ended up fixing by first taking a small gauge nail (with a head) and filing have of the head off. This gave me a super small, hard, hook. I had to file the head down so it would be small enough to get in that tiny hole.

Once I got it straight enough by hooking it with the nail (held with pliers), I took a very small needle nose pliers and straightened it out till the tube's pin could get in it.

Then, I lubed the pins with some Caig Conditioner and installed and removed the tube several times to make sure it made contact and didn't bend again.

Then I tested it and everything is sweet. I may order a couple of extra sockets from Mesa just to have in the tool box though.

Dave

Back