I am planning on a new amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissing

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just bought a single cut PRS. and i figure out that i can let my SC live in a "shabby" hut.(i am using a trace elliot brat :( ) i am really into Mesa boogie amps, but here's the sad thing. There isnt' any dealers in my cou try! all my country has are Marshalls and Peaveys. I am not saying they are bad but i dont want to get on the wagon. Anyway, this amp will seat in my room most of the time. but i am willing to get a good match for my guitar. So, any recommendations? And i almost forgot, i am into Dream Theater, Metallica, Soundgarden, smashing pumpkins, stone temple pilots, foo fighters, joe satriani, linkin park.

The Mark IV is an awesome amp too. That or the RK and Roadster as nathan28 mentioned if you want good cleans and great versatility. All are awesome!!

ya, either the road king, roadster, or mark4.

the roadking is the most complete package, but most $$$$. the roadster is less $$$, but has a few less features than the road king. either of these amps will get you new dream theater, soundgarden, pumpkins, foo fighters, satriani, and LP.

the mark4 is extremely versatile as well, but does not give you that huge chugging sound like linkin park or the foo's can get. Instead, the mark4 will give you lots of sweet and smooth lead tones and plenty of tight and aggressive rhythm tones. this amp is best for old dream theater and especially Metallica. Both these bands have used mark4's. the pilots can get in this area also.

The neat feature about the roadking is you can put el34 and 6l6 tubes at once, to get a true simulclass like sound (as in the mark4). The vintage modes may be able to get tight enough to cover metallica, if you're good at EQing. you have to dial out the bass to get the metallica sound when playing a rectifier. make sure you get a series 2 road king. good luck and enjoy

One word....eBay. :D

I would listen to as many sound clips as you can to help make your decision. There are some great clips posted on this board as well as other sites. From the kind of music you play, I would suggest any of the Recto's (Single, Dual, Triple, Rect-O-Verb, Roadster or Road King) but you can't go wrong with any Boogie in my opinion. Good luck!

i have seen the RK comes in 2X12 combos. is there a different in heads and in combos?
and does mesa amps comes in 240V?

there's no difference in the circuitry of the amps. a head and a combo are the same. the only difference you need to worry about are just 2 things: 1) portability and weight--a head and a separate cab are easier to carry than a heavy combo. 2) the speakers in the combo are not really suited to the music you're describing. an open back combo with C90 speakers is not well suited to the aggressive rock styles you're after. perhaps if you switch them out to Vintage30's, it'll sound more like the old tremoverbs the guy from incubus used to play. I would recommend you buy the head and either a 2x12 or 4x12 Mesa closed back cab with V30s. The V30s are the speakers the artists you mentioned typically use. of course, this type of setup is more $$$, as if the amp itself wasn't enough money.

Nothing solos like a Mark series.... The MKIV is amazing for lead solo work. No bee hive buzz at all.... smooth silky creamy overdrive. Ala.... Satriani

If you're going to be my little buddy rhythm back up player then yes... by all means get a road kind and chunk down my rhythm track for me while I Benny Hill you... Great rhythm amp that Road King!

i am from singapore, by the way, the price of mesa boogie is very high in indonesia

i have played with little tube amps, but i did heard about the volume. is it true that you really have to wack the volume to see the true colors of the tubes?

well, to say the least, yes. however, this exists with any tube amp. tubes simply need to be put LOUD to sound GOOD. they sound OK at best when at low volumes. there's little definition and lots of buzz and grainy sounds at low volumes. play a tube amp just to see what we mean

Mesa Do come in 240v it's called the export model...i would get a recto of some sort off ebay...you can get a US and buy a transformer for it if you want as well..

can i know the difference between a MKIV head and a MKIV combo in tonal wise?

As I posted in another "Help me pick an amp" thread, be careful about tube amps in your bedroom. You're going to be surprised when you see the volume required to get a good distortion tone.

That said, the Mark IV is not a great low volume amp. It really needs volume to open up. I find my RKII to be a little friendlier in that regard. Truth be told, the best tube amp I ever had for low volume tone, bar none, was the Peavey JSX.

You'll probably dismiss this recommendation because you've already made up your mind to buy a Boogie. Believe me. I know how that goes. But you will find yourself using a distortion box to get low volume distortion when you can't crank the amp.

kissing said:
can i know the difference between a MKIV head and a MKIV combo in tonal wise?

They're the same. Of course you have an open cab and a Black Shadow or whatever speaker comes in the combo as opposed to whatever cab you may run the head through.

the combo has a speaker, the head doesn't. that's the only difference. if you like the speaker in the combo, then get it. i personally think the mark4 will sound best through a closed back cab with V30s

do you really have to spend hours to get the tone that you want? i have seen the control panels of the MKIV and RK, and to be frank, i think i need a rocket sceintist to do the settings. is it not user friendly? i have seen reviews and some had them for weeks and are still tuning them! sorry for the question but all i could do now is ask (i dont have it in my country, which is my other big problem!)

Back