I am ordering a Mesa Stiletto Ace and need some help.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefttygtr

Reaction score
So I have decided that I want a Mesa Stiletto Ace, I am still not sure if I want the 2x12 combo or the head and 2x12 cab. Money wise I know the combo goes for around 1699 but I am not sure what the head and cab would go for. I also know the 2x12 combo will be heavy, close to the Lonestar I used to own. The questions I need answered it where and how long will it take. I know GC can order me one but I am not sure if there is a better place to go. I live in the Phila area if that helps. I do not mind going to GC to order it but I am just hoping it will not take like 12 weeks or something crazy like that to get it. Oh yeah one last question how much down will they ask for? I have around 1500 right now and would have the rest in a couple of weeks. I can’t wait to get this amp, I have had major G.A.S ever since I played through a friends a couple of weeks back, He even let me mess around with it over the weekend just so I could really know if it was what I wanted.

Not sure how far you're willing to drive but my vote goes to MagdonMusic.com in Olyphant, PA. About 20 minutes north of Wilkes-Barre, PA. Great folks. I just bought my ROV there 3 weeks ago.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Maury

Guitarzan said:
Get the head and the 2X12. Your back will love you on the load out.

+1

You can always get a bigger or smaller cab if you want down the road as well.

head and cab .Ace head is $1499.00 and 2X12 Stiletto cab is $559.00. the 1x12 stiletto cab is $419.00/ The guys name at Magdon Music is Jack Gretz . I just bought a guitar from him .

I have the head, and I play it through a 412 mostly. I also own som 112 cabs, and it's nice to have the option of playing through anything when necessary.

Still, the 112 combo is killer, so you wouldn't hate either option.

I dont own an ace but I would defo go for a head/cab combo as you can decide on the size of cab you want to take out each gig,you may find the venue is huge and need a bigger cab to fill it but if you just have the 1x12" in the combo then thats it and if ya want a bigger cab as well your gonna have to take that to a show as well,I would say head/cab I used to own a mesa nomad 100 1x12" combo and some venues just needed that extra cab which I didnt have so my dual rec and 2x12" fills almost any venue and then you mic it up and ohhh baby it goes..............FAST!!!!!!!

the sound of a combo is completly different to a head/cab then again you may like that sound better,If your just in the house for now the combo may be the best bet but who's to say you dont get in a gigging band in the next few weeks and the head/cab combo would far better you

My 2 cents

I'll buck the trend here, I love my 2x12 combo. There's something magical about a 50W 2x12 combo that just has so much mojo to me. It's really hard to explain but I really dig combos. I have both kind of rigs so that has a bit to do with it as well, it's just nice to throw the 2x12 in the trunk of my car and show up somewhere with a cord and my guitar 8)

I guess im from the other end of the spectrum . I used combos for years but i definately prefer a head and cab nowadays . To me having an external cab is just another tool of fine tuning your tone . I think with a combo amp lets face it, the dimensions are first a formost to fit the amplifier itself whereas a external cab is tuned to accomodate certain speaker types and a particular sound . Having said that, with the Ace it is a closed back combo which a very cool feature for the this type of amp , especially with its voicing it needs to be with a closed back cab . Im not completely off the idea of combos. I see the attraction of the putting it in the trunk of ones car and showing up at the gig . The simplicity is the beauty . Being in a working band i have the luxury of leaving all of my gear on a band truck . Im fortunate . It allows me to have different cabs for different size venues . Its nice to pick and choose . Lets face it , which ever Ace you end up with , Im sure you will be happy .

Barry said:
I guess im from the other end of the spectrum . I used combos for years but i definately prefer a head and cab nowadays . To me having an external cab is just another tool of fine tuning your tone . I think with a combo amp lets face it, the dimensions are first a formost to fit the amplifier itself whereas a external cab is tuned to accomodate certain speaker types and a particular sound . Having said that, with the Ace it is a closed back combo which a very cool feature for the this type of amp , especially with its voicing it needs to be with a closed back cab . Im not completely off the idea of combos. I see the attraction of the putting it in the trunk of ones car and showing up at the gig . The simplicity is the beauty . Being in a working band i have the luxury of leaving all of my gear on a band truck . Im fortunate . It allows me to have different cabs for different size venues . Its nice to pick and choose . Lets face it , which ever Ace you end up with , Im sure you will be happy .

agreed here. go for the head!

in fact Platypus wins this discussion 8) there is just a minor deviation left to comment this from my side:

Go for TWO Ace combos! (2x12" of course)

it really makes the difference

anyway and however the ace is a good choice.

head and cab. no brainer IMO.

the combos are great, for combos, but they are harder on the back and harder on the tubes as well. all those vibrations from the speaker hit the tubes harder as they are much closer in a combo format and not isolated in a standalone box like with a head.

you've also now got one point of failure, which as a gigging person I don't like. i've actually head speakers fail on me more than heads, and I don't play that loud, but again all those vibrations are hard on things over time and parts get loose.

if I was going to get two of anything I'd get an ace and a lone star rather than two aces myself...

-P

Head and Cab. I had a 2x12 combo before I bought my half-stack, and the projection of the combo with 2 12's pales in comparison to the quad. Plus, like others said, you can mix and match with any cab you want, and don't have to worry about having a bulky 2x12 that you don't use the speakers in to carry around along with the external cab you do use. Just my opinion, good luck, and congrats on becoming a part of the Mesa family.

-AJH

The vibrations aren't really that bad because it's a closed back combo design, it's actually surprisingly quiet vibration wise. I'd at least play the 2x12, it's really unlike any combo I've tried in the past and it really does sound like a cranked 4x12 (sorry to agree with the silly marketing slogan :p )

Either way as people have stated, head/combo is more versatile but you might like the flavor of the combo, they're your ears so decide what you like :)

Ok I think I am going with the 2x12 combo but have one last question. I hear that Mesa amps are not pedal freindly. I only use a Boss SD-1 and Boss Chorus. So is this true

lefttygtr said:
Ok I think I am going with the 2x12 combo but have one last question. I hear that Mesa amps are not pedal freindly. I only use a Boss SD-1 and Boss Chorus. So is this true

That's completely false, every boogie I've owned takes pedals extremely well. (Owned Mark IV, Dual Rec, Stiletto Deuce, Stiletto Ace). Fear not 8)

I have to ask though, did you actually play the 2x12 combo compared to the head?

I actually played a 1x12 combo and did like the way it sounded. I was guessing a 2x12 will sound a bit fuller.

Yeah even the Mark IV can take an OD but just not as well as other amps.

I think the 1x12 sounds better. Compare the 1x12 and 2x12 side by side and I think you will agree. There is some phase cancellation with 2x12s in general. The phase cancelation works to your advantage however with a 4x12.

I prefer the 2x12 because of the fuller sound and better bass response. The 1x12 sounds great but the 2x12 is perfect to my ears.

That's why there are so many options out there :)

Latest posts

Back