I am doing it

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
I am taking my 3ch DR to FJA Mods tomorrow.

He is going to do some mods to the tone to help the clean channel a bit and lower the fizzy/buzzyness in the gain.
Probably what I am expecting the biggest difference to come from will be the upgrade to a Mercury Magnetic Output Transformer.

Building on ibanez4lifes recent post on not using the FX Loop on these amps...I agree w/out the loop engaged the tone is a bit better. I am going to talk to Jerry about that and see if anything can be done to maintain the tone with it on. I personally really like the Solo feature. In a 2 guitar band it is very handy to have as the lead guitarist.

I can tell you that an output transformer has A LOT to do with the ultimate sound of an amp. I have a JTM45 reissue amp, that I totally modified. I put in KT66 tubes, lowered the filtering, PTP circuit board, Sozo caps and changed the Output Transformer, Power Transformer and Choke all to MMagnetics. I forget the model I used first from MMagnetics, but it was like OTJ45 or something, and while it sounded fantastic, the amp REALLY came alive when I used the MMagnetics Radio Spares wired at 16ohm, (like the original JTM45). Anyhow, the OT in my opinion is the single biggest mod you can do to your amp.

That said, I wouldn't think Mesa uses bad ones. There is always room for different, but I think Mesa has engineered the amp with the best components. Let us know how the MMagnetics works out.

Jack

I have a MercMag OT in my Boogie. The difference was immediately noticeable, especially on the clean channel. The OT also made the distortion "clearer" in a way that made the individual strings seem distinct regardless of how much overdrive I use.

Good Luck!

Philip

Janglin_Jack said:
I can tell you that an output transformer has A LOT to do with the ultimate sound of an amp. I have a JTM45 reissue amp, that I totally modified. I put in KT66 tubes, lowered the filtering, PTP circuit board, Sozo caps and changed the Output Transformer, Power Transformer and Choke all to MMagnetics. I forget the model I used first from MMagnetics, but it was like OTJ45 or something, and while it sounded fantastic, the amp REALLY came alive when I used the MMagnetics Radio Spares wired at 16ohm, (like the original JTM45). Anyhow, the OT in my opinion is the single biggest mod you can do to your amp.

That said, I wouldn't think Mesa uses bad ones. There is always room for different, but I think Mesa has engineered the amp with the best components. Let us know how the MMagnetics works out.

Jack

Well from what Jerry says....the stock Mesa OTs really aren't that great (comparatively speaking to what is out there). I trust him from working with him on a few things. He has always been straight up and has never told me something just to make money for himself...he as actually steered me away from spending cash to do certain mods in the interest of really giving me what I want and need.
I think Mesa makes good products, but they are a company like any other with a bottom line of making money. The OT is a component they can get away with not using the top of the line, save money, but still maintain a pretty good stock tone.
I just feel it can be a little better and this is an upgrade to get it there.
I will definitely report on this when I get it back. The waiting is going to be the hard part :(

Janglin_Jack said:

Jack
That's an understatement. I dabble in amp kits (and reading diy amp building bulliten board) and OT transformer is one component that should not be overlook when building an amp.

That's why I cringe when someone pulls two power stage tubes and one rectifier tube trying to get lower the power to get some power tube saturation tone yet the transformer remains a "100 watt transformer". I attempt this and to me (I must emphase "to me" before someone flames me) it doesn't sound as good as running the full power.

Hey Jack, your JTM45 must be one sweet sounding amp. I gotta build one down the road.

RR said:
Hey Jack, your JTM45 must be one sweet sounding amp. I gotta build one down the road.

It is VERY sweet. Not to bore anyone, but I started with a reissue head. I bought it as a project amp for an online review. It already had KT66 tubes and lower filtering when I bought it. I then added the MetroAmp JTM45 PTP board, added Sozo caps. After all of that, the amp was great sounding. I then took it to the next level and added a MMagnetics OT, (not Radio Spares version). It was very smooth and punchy and I noticed the improvement, (although not huge). Then I did more research and read that the real magic in that amp was the Radio Spares OT wired at 16ohm. MMagnetics had one and I bought the OT, Power Transformer and Choke. The Radio Spares OT made all the difference. I compared it to a vintage 1965 JTM45 and mine sounded better!!!

The final step in that project was to pull the amp from the head cabinet and installed it into a Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12 combo and add Celestion Heritage G12M. The combination of all those items made this a MONSTER!!! It really is the holy grail.

I also have a 1965 Fender Super Reverb and my Mesa Lonestar Classic, (housed in a Lonestar Special Cabinet).

I am interested in the OT mod to the Mesa. Has anyone done it to a Lonestar Classic????

Jack

Back