Hum/Noise... Arrrghh

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robson780

Reaction score
I was having some stupid crazy hum and noise problems with my Triple Rec, and thinking it was the tubes I just re-tubed it with JJs. Well the hum is a little bit better during idle at band volume, but it still makes quite a bit of noise. I'm running an ISP Decimator in front of the amp. Is this normal for these amps? I find it hard to believe some people can crank theirs with very little to no noise.

Also, when I engage the loop it gets a little worse. Is that normal?

Please help!

Is the decimater a noise suppressor or a power conditioner? I'd get a power conditioner if you don't have one already.

What do you run your gain at and are you running anything in front of your amp at all?

Right now I'm playing my MKIV with channel and output dimed and all I can hear is a faint bit of static, so I'd say something is not right with your setup.

It goes, guitar > Boss tuner > Decimator > Amp > Cab

Thats it.

And I don't like racks, so I don't want a power conditioner, maybe as a last resort.

Does anyone make a power conditioner that can sit on the floor?

You should have a power conditioner anyway. It always boggles my mind when people buy 1, 2, 3 thousand dollar amps then just plug them straight into the wall.

mrd said:
You should have a power conditioner anyway. It always boggles my mind when people buy 1, 2, 3 thousand dollar amps then just plug them straight into the wall.

Does anyone make a non-rackmount power conditioner?

And will this seriously take care of some noise?

Not sure about non-rack mount ones, but I reckon they could be found.

It may help with noise, it doesn't always. It depends on how clean your power is to start with. What it's good for is preventing small (or large) surges and keeping the voltage flow to your amp constant.

What kind of noise are you getting, is it mainly hum or mainly staticy, noisy ****? There shouldn't really be any hum at all, if there is you have a ground loop somewhere. A little bit of static/hissing is OK if your amp is cranked, but it should not really be like "OMG what is that", more of a subtle, idling amp kind of thing.

mrd said:
Not sure about non-rack mount ones, but I reckon they could be found.

It may help with noise, it doesn't always. It depends on how clean your power is to start with. What it's good for is preventing small (or large) surges and keeping the voltage flow to your amp constant.

What kind of noise are you getting, is it mainly hum or mainly staticy, noisy sh!t? There shouldn't really be any hum at all, if there is you have a ground loop somewhere. A little bit of static/hissing is OK if your amp is cranked, but it should not really be like "OMG what is that", more of a subtle, idling amp kind of thing.

Well, you're right. It's not a hum, it's a hiss that goes "shhhhh" when I'm not playing. Volume at 11:00 and gain at noon. And it's not stupid loud, like I said it was significantly worse with the stock tubes.

And when the loop is on it brings in a very slight buzz. Is this all just the nature of the amp?

I bought a furman M-8 brand new for $60 bucks. Just set it on the floor behind the amp. I don't know that that will solve your problem though. The Shhhhh your talking about sounds like something ele if a retube didn't fix it.

ha i have the same problem at practice ... the studio we goto has two dual rec full stacks and i just bring my two ns2s, tu2 and my decimator prorack G, and i still get the static in the backround :lol: but once i get home to my triple rec and setup everything up again, i have no static just feedback if i stand too close :? maybe its the furman :lol:

im used to the static at practice but sometimes my drummer complains, so yeah i feel your pain :cry:

Well god **** it. I just cleaned the preamp tube sockets thinking it was just crap interfering, but now it HUMS! No hiss, it hums loud as hell. So I swapped V1 with V2 and same ****. Do you think it's the tube in V5? (Phase inverter)

Could be, spray some contact cleaner all around, slide the tubes in and out of the socket 5 or so times, and maybe a new tube in V5 might help too.

Back