hum and noise clean channel boogie caliber +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildrat666

Reaction score
my friend have a mesa boogie studio caliber + and there is lots of noise in the clean channel, switching to lead channel the noise/hum decreases, tried to switch the preamp tube in v1 position but the noise get worse.
what could it be???

Try the other preamp tubes one by one, buy one or two new tubes and go thru thru each preamp tube until the problem stops. You can also look in behind at the tubes while the amp is on and usually you can pick out the faulty tube, it may not be glowing or be glowing much less than the others or a different color...

If this doesn't work then maybe it's something other than the preamp tubes???

This sounds like a preamp tube tho from my experience....good luck!

It sounds like the V2 tube (original one) is questionable. In the Caliber series, the channel switching adds V1 to the front of the pre-amp chain. Since it adds an additional stage of gain, you end up amplifying any noise from from V1 in the following gain stage. My theory on what you are experiencing is that while on lead channel, the noise wasn't enough to be noticable through the distortion the lead channel adds. Swapping tubes caused your noisy tube to now be amplified in that additional stage.

Noisy tube in V2, you could live with to a point. A noisy tube in V1, means all the noise it might generate gets amplified in those stages and then re-amplified again by the V2 stages. V1 does not get used in Clean channel at all.

If you have any low microphonic tubes (surrounded by heat shrink, and is a different part number than the "non-low microphonic" version) use them in V1 stage. Preferably, in both V1 and V2. These are the most crucial to have low noise tubes, as any noise they have will get amplified and signal to noise ratio goes down. The earlier in the circuit any noisy tubes may be the more prevalent the noise will be. And conversely, you can have noisy tubes later in the circuit (V3) and not affect the noise level much, due to the later stages not amplifying the signal (and noise) that much.

Had a similar problem in my .50 Cal+. Previous owner (or tech) put the low microphonic tube to V3, and put the normal, high(er) noise, tubes in V1 and 2. When I did tube replacement, I used the old tube installation locations as a guide, which meant my brand new tubes were noisy. I swapped the V3 (low microph) tube into V1 and magically my noise problem went away.

Stephen

"... studio caliber +... "
Ahem, which model is this?
Perusing the Mesa website, I see:
50 Caliber Plus
Studio 22 +
Studio Caliber DC-2
But curiously, no mention of the "studio caliber +".

I have the same problem with my .50 caliber. some Hum comes through on the clean channel. Wasn't able to fix it by swapping tubes. This was also after a well known tech worked on it, so I just assumed it was normal to hear a little considering the amps age and design.

V1 does not get used in Clean channel at all

are you sure ?

about the problem here, try to clean up the things (i don't know the word in english, "plot" or "socket" maybe !?) you plug the tube into... be sure the contact is ok with each "pins"... if the previous owner often changed the tubes, the "things" that grab the tubes' pins can be spread (push aside)

Latest posts

Back