How well can the ED do SRV ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.J

Reaction score
Ok, I have been pestered the MKV guys and the the Lonestar guys about this too.

I have an Express 5:25 and just can't get it to do what I want. It is kind of a junior Mesa so I think it is time to step up to one of the bigger models.

The Lonestar and gets some incredible tones with my Strat, but I have not been able to get tones I like with a Les Paul.

I know SRV used a lot of amps, including Marshalls and Fenders at the same time, so there is no simple yes/no answer to my question. The tone I like best is probably the Texas flood era, but what I generally hear in the SRV tone is a stinging top end followed by a really meaty mid/low mid grind. The ED just seems to have that mojo about it when dialed that way.

Does anyone use the ED to do SRV tunes ?

J.J said:
Ok, I have been pestered the MKV guys and the the Lonestar guys about this too.

I have an Express 5:25 and just can't get it to do what I want. It is kind of a junior Mesa so I think it is time to step up to one of the bigger models.

The Lonestar and gets some incredible tones with my Strat, but I have not been able to get tones I like with a Les Paul.

I know SRV used a lot of amps, including Marshalls and Fenders at the same time, so there is no simple yes/no answer to my question. The tone I like best is probably the Texas flood era, but what I generally hear in the SRV tone is a stinging top end followed by a really meaty mid/low mid grind. The ED just seems to have that mojo about it when dialed that way.

Does anyone use the ED to do SRV tunes ?

I did play around with the ED for SRV tones. I forget exactly what my settings were, but I do remember the presence and treble all being dialed up quite high. I believe I was on the clean channel with the volume (gain) pretty high - past break up - to get it. Not really the most flexible settings for channel switching - the gain channels were harsh and brittle - but I got a pretty sweet sound out of my PRS DGT coil-tapped. Bear in mind that the DGT coil-tapped is still not as chimey and bright as a strat, so the ED might be a bit more versatile with the strat dialed into SRV rather than the DGT.

If I were to gig with those settings, I'd definitely use a dirtbox in front of the amp to get my gain rather than the ED's gain channels, but it definitely can get that punchy, grindy SRV sound if you tweak it.

Thanks for the info.

I am generally a little worried about the shared tone controls. I just can't see why the clean and gain modes are not separate channels given Mesa went to the trouble to stack the tone pots.

I'll have to go back to the shop and test the ED again to check what happens between the modes. I guess it would not be out of the question to change the trebble and pressence between songs.

What speaker combination do you use with your ED ?

J.

J.J said:

J.

I have the 1 x 12" combo, so it's the celestion black shadow that's in there by default.
skunizzi said:
check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0EV5ZUvVoc

Nice playing and great tone! Since the video was entitled "Kendall Sweet Singer OD Pedal", I'm guessing you had one stuck in front of the ED?

In any case, I wouldn't let the shared EQ scare you away from this amp. For almost every application, it's not a problem, and if there is a problem, it can be easily rectified with a pedal or two. The only scenario that might cause you trouble is if you absolutely refuse to use pedals in your rig.

J.J said:

J.

I have the 1 x 12" combo, so it's the celestion black shadow that's in there by default.
skunizzi said:

Nice playing and great tone! Since the video was entitled "Kendall Sweet Singer OD Pedal", I'm guessing you had one stuck in front of the ED?

In any case, I wouldn't let the shared EQ scare you away from this amp. For almost every application, it's not a problem, and if there is a problem, it can be easily rectified with a pedal or two. The only scenario that might cause you trouble is if you absolutely refuse to use pedals in your rig.

skunizzi said:

Thanks for that, Is that you ? Nice playing. I found it a little hard to hear the guitar sound over everything else going on. I am not familar with that sweet singer pedal either so it's hard to know what is what.

Personally I would probably be looking for a little more in the top end which could probably be achieved just moving the tone controls a notch or so. Could even be a speaker thing V30 vs C90. Maybe the video just doesn't do it justice.

tubby_cosmos said:

I have been shying away from pedals recently and I used to be a real pedal guy ! Give me a good sounding pedal though and I'll use it. I have a GE-7 which would probably be handy. Having the two channel Express I can have a warm clean and cutting lead or the other way around without any additional pedals.

Starting with a bright tone and using the guitar controls to bring it back when I need to may another solution.

That is not me playing in the clip. But I do have an ED and I can pretty much reproduce that tone. I agree that the tone is a little bottom heavy compaired to a fender amp, but the video doesn't do it justice and it is a live setting and very loud.

I would have to say that nailing that SRV tone is 90% in the hands. You can get into SRV territory quite easily once you know how to set the amp. Adding a Tube screamer to the clean channel and your just about there!

Just my 2 cents

I agree, your only ever going to sound as good as your hands :D I have been practicing for years and have had some SRV tones I really liked, but only with the right gear. So far a Fender custom Vibrolux that I played at a jam once is the best tone I have had. I would get one, but they are a bit of a one trick pony. I can never get great SRV tones from my Express. After one and half years of trying I am just having to give up and say it just doesn't have the magic. It always has to much bass and can be set very bright, but never gets that top end scream. The tube screamer never seems to make it sound any better no matter what settings I try. I wouldn't like to say this in front of the hundreds of happy Express owners, but the 5:25 in my opinion does not take pedals that well.

Last night I dusted off my JCM800 (JCM900 4x12 cab) and straight up I found some great tones. Adding the TS-9 (modded to TS-8) made things even better. That amp has some mojo !

I really want my next amp to get a great SRV tone, but be able to leave Texas too. The ED seems to have the magic and crosses over from USA to Brit as well as I need. So far you guys are doing a pretty good job of convincing me that my ears are telling me the truth about the ED. In Australia the ED 1x12" retails around $4700 so I need to be really sure I am getting an amp that I will be happy with for a long time. At least here the prices are not set and good deals can be done, but it still will not be cheap.

Another good video.

I'm going to the shop this afternoon with my 62' reissue and my TS-9. I just might come back with an ED :wink:

Still not sure about getting a head or a combo though.

J.J said:
Another good video.

I'm going to the shop this afternoon with my 62' reissue and my TS-9. I just might come back with an ED :wink:

Still not sure about getting a head or a combo though.

If you have the budget, definitely go for a head + cab. I'm sure you're aware of the flexibility of switching cabs, but the killer for me is the weight. Even the 1x12 is 75lbs! Not fun when there's no parking at the gig.

Yes, I think your right about the head and cab. I was looking at the narrow combo which weigh about 5 pounds less. I thought that would be OK. After lifting it a few times in the shop I decided I just don't need to be lugging that much weight. I have a few cabs that will get me by until i can get a Mesa cab.

I didn't end up getting a head yet though. The 62' hot rod just did not work with the gain modes. Clean was still very good. That guitar has very low output vintage pickups and does not seem to overdrive well. It is also quite dark sounding which is a bit odd for a strat with vintage pickups. I'm going to open it up and make sure the electronics are ok and msybe put in a set if Custom shop 69 pickups I have.

The last strat I tried with the ED was a standard USA 2010 and it sounded much better.

Just a side note. Have you tried any of the Egnater amps? I have the Renegade and I think it nails the SRV tone better than my ED.

Just another option you may not have expored.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have not tried any Egnater amps. No one in my town sells them so it would be a real stretch to get onto one.

It is interesting that you can get better SRV tones from the Renegade. I would have thought that the ED would win for vintage tones. How does the Renegade do it better ?

That is a very good sound. There is no question why people are liking the Renegade.

I tried the ED out again with my 62 RI hot rod Strat. Great cleans, but quite week drive sounds. I also hit the mark V, the Lonestar Classic and the Stilleto. It would really seem that it is the low output pickups in that Strat that are the problem. I think my shop is going to refuse entry if I go back and don't buy anything again :oops:

J.J said:
...my 62 RI hot rod Strat. Great cleans, but quite week drive sounds...

Maybe this is a clue. A major contributor to SRV's tone was his rig, and specifically his guitars. His somewhat namesake pickups, the Fender Texas Specials, round out the bite of a stock Strat very well and push a lot more output for a single coil. He also used a string gauge that would suspend the Golden Gate Bridge!! Maybe you could consider tweaking your existing gear since you appear to have good stuff.

kdorsey said:
J.J said:
...my 62 RI hot rod Strat. Great cleans, but quite week drive sounds...

Maybe this is a clue. A major contributor to SRV's tone was his rig, and specifically his guitars. His somewhat namesake pickups, the Fender Texas Specials, round out the bite of a stock Strat very well and push a lot more output for a single coil. He also used a string gauge that would suspend the Golden Gate Bridge!! Maybe you could consider tweaking your existing gear since you appear to have good stuff.

Yep! Heavy strings, hot pickups, and pick attack, etc.... All KEY.

The YouTube vids posted are not really showing an srv tone at all, but they do show that the ED can do blues of varying styles.

Push up the treble (3:30), gain, and presence (2:00) in the clean channel, run the mids at about 10:00, use a strat neck pickup with a ts-808 in front. Or the blue channel with gain at about 10:00 works well too.

No amp will magically turn you into SRV. If you are looking in to an amp to get the tone you need thats a start, but I would look into your playing technique and tone in the hands first. I think that will go much further in capturing that magic SRV tone than a amp ever will.

Back