How to push the power tubes on a LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axman53

Reaction score
I am confused about how best to push the power tubes on my LSS. Is it better to keep the Output control up has high as possible and use the individual masters to throttle the volume, or set the masters high and use the Output control to throttle the volume? My goal is to use the 15W mode and push the power tubes as much as possible. What's the best way to do this, without the obvious "set everything to 11"? Thanks.

Channel masters low, output high.

I find that having the channel masters up too high overdrives the effects loop, so I generally tell people to have the loudest channel set to around 10:00 (usually the lead channel) and adjust the other channel to match it.

Also, Mesa's can sound a little congested until you get the master output up around and above 11:00, so keeping the channel master lower helps with this.

I was running into a situation this weekend that the gain on the clean was about 1pm and channel volume about 2pm just to get it to compete with channel 2 volume. I kept the master lower so as to drive channel 2 harder, but then it blew away the volume in channel 1. I'd be interested in hearing what people do.

Keeping any volume control (Channel Master, Output, whatever) lower, then turning up the next (or previous) volume control in line will not result in "pushing" anything.
If "pushing" means overdriving, the *only* way to overdrive the power tubes is to CRANK IT. If the loudness is a problem, get an attenuator.
This is precisely why the "Master Volume" was invented, so overdrive could be achieved at low volume levels.
Pushing, or overdriving the power section, ***without an attenuator hooked up between the power amp and the speaker***, will result in the LOUD.
Hope this helps. :D

Latest posts

Back