How to Mount an EVM-12L classic in a Mk-iv widebody combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlst7

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a widebody mark iv, and recently purchased the reissued EVM-12l classic and would like to swap out the C-90 for the EVM.
How do i do so?

Some guys on the forum say it cant be done, and others talk about how they have it in their widebody and love it. I heard u have to get rid of the reverb unit and there is an issue with Front vs. rear mounting, but im not sure if their saying it wont fit b/c it is an old one with the heatsink or what. If anyone can help please let me know.

Thanks

Just looked at a widebody with a C-90. It's a rear mount speaker. You should be able to front mount an EV, but I do not know what clearance there will be between the speaker and the grill. You will, of course have to put new screw holes in the front of the baffle, but it may be worth a try.

I had a MKIV that I did this conversion and I did have to remove the reverb tank. Also, I had to move the cooling fan. It was a tight fit, but it sounded awesome. I would recommend that you remove the bottom baffle, reverb tank, cooling fan, and the guts of the MKIV and then do the swap.

Good news EV fans...

The EVM-12L Classic is succesfully in my '06 MK-IV Widebody Combo and sound amazing. Some pointers:

You must remove reverb, fan, grill, guts, ext. untill you are down to just the cabinet. Remove the orignal Mesa/Celestion speaker, while keeping the gasket intact. Then You must drill a couple extra holes to mount the new EV Classic in. Line it up correctly first. Mine is Rear-mounted, just like the MC-90 was.

Also You are able to keep the reverb unit, fan, grill and everything else in its normal position as well (I hears some people saying the reverb must be perminantly removed and the fan perminatly moved).

Make sure u get the 8 ohm verision of the speaker.

I will get some pics of the mark iv with her new mod. - Thanks :!:

I'm interested in seeing how this is done too.

I'd have thought the valves might be too close to the speaker with rear-mounting ? Any particular reason you didn't go with front-mounting ?

lyn

lento said:
I'm interested in seeing how this is done too.

I'd have thought the valves might be too close to the speaker with rear-mounting ? Any particular reason you didn't go with front-mounting ?

lyn

If my old Mk IV was like his, you'd have to remove a good section of wood from the the grill "frame".

atlst7 said:
Good news EV fans...
I will get some pics of the mark iv with her new mod. - Thanks :!:

Any chance of seeing those pics ? I've been wondering whether to do this
myself.

At present I have an EV in a Thiele, but would like to see how tight the fit is in the combo

lyn

im having trouble uploading the pics... They are on my computer not on the internet, so how do I do this???? I really want to get them up but dont know how to insert a pic. When i hit

Did you attatch the EV with just the 4 screws from the C90, as I think I see 2 holes unused ?
It looks to be a good, probably tight fit though!

Worthwhile difference in sound ? Reason I ask is, I only know how the EV sounds in a thiele.

Thanks for posting

Lyn

yes, I used the 4 original screws from the C-90. As for sound there is a definite change. The evm has a tighter bass chug, more defined RYH 2, soaring leads, and allows for more much needed headroom. I have no experience with a theile but everyone talks them up, probably because there closed back and push a lot of sound. The EVM probably doesn't make as big of a sound difference in the Half back than it does in the closed back theile. Basically overall I think the EVM makes more sense for the MK-IV than the C-90 because I consider it a high gain amp(even though it has awesome vintage capabilities) and the EVM is the perfect high gain speaker.

It was like 195 = ship.... i know
I got it from this online company called zz sounds, here is the link.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVEVM12LCLSC

Latest posts

Back