How to MIDI map on the Triaxis?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ando

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some help with matching the programs on my Triaxis to various effects on my G major 2 via MIDI.

For example, I want program 1 on my triaxis to select effect number 67 on my G major. I want triaxis prog 2 to select G major effect no 3.

The Triaxis manual gives no instructions on how to do this and I'm not getting anywhere on my own. Can somebody tell me exactly which buttons to press and in what sequence to access this mapping stuff and get the above numbers to work? It was so easy on my JMP-1 preamp...

At the moment, all that is happening is the numbers on the Triaxis and G major both match. ie. Prog 1 on Triaxis selects effect no 1 on G Major, Likewise Triaxis prog 2 selects G Major effect no 2. Not very useful to me.

Any help greatly appreciated.

While you can map different presets to MIDI program numbers (like MIDI program 10 actually selects preset 3 or something), the TriAxis won't send different MIDI program numbers out, it just passes through what it receives. It's not generally the function of a preamp to act as a MIDI switcher, the JMP-1 must have some cool extras if it does that.

To change the preamp and effect patch at the same time, I used the Behringer FCB101 to send a different program change number to each unit.

Ah, thank you Danimal - it was driving me crazy trying to find it. Yes, the JMP-1 has a great MIDI mapping feature which allows you to send out a program number for every patch. It also allows you to map the MIDI input program number from your foot controller to any patch number. It was my first experience with MIDI, so maybe I was spoiled by that unit. I think the JMP-1 has the best user interface of any piece of gear I've ever owned. If only it sounded like the Triaxis. It still sounds good for Marshall type sounds though so I'll probably keep it.

I have a Ground Control pedal, so I guess I'll have to learn how to use the mapping feature on that. I was hoping to be able to bypass that part!

Thanks again. :D

I adreesed this a bit different:
I took advantage of the fact that the Triaxis can have different programs adress the same preset. So, I first programmed a few basic sounds within the Triaxis (main crunch, lead, clean, etc), then programmed the FX unit. So, patch nr 1 adresses main drive with a little reverb, patch nr 2 the same drive but with trem, etc. All the switching is managed by the FX unit, and the Triaxis is slaved, meaning that patch nr 1 on the FX unit also selects program nr 1 on the Triaxis, etc.

Hi.

I too had a wonderful (and have another) JMP1 and yes - it's mapping function was great. The triaxis has the same feature - but implemented a bit differently. On the front panel you have two sets of numbers "Preset" on the left and "Program/Channel" on it's right. Think of the midi program number as the "Patch/Channel" number, and the "Preset" number as the program that you want to MAP to - just like in the Marshall.

For example, lets say that you want to have program 1 call up patch 45, do the following on the Triaxis;

1. Select Patch/Channel #1
2. Select Preset #45
3. Save
4. Now each time you send program Nbr 1, you'll get patch nbr 45 - just the way the Marshall would.

I have done this for a bunch of sounds and it works just like my trusty ol' JMP1 did.

Hope this helps, Scooter

scoot_001 said:
Hi.

I too had a wonderful (and have another) JMP1 and yes - it's mapping function was great. The triaxis has the same feature - but implemented a bit differently. On the front panel you have two sets of numbers "Preset" on the left and "Program/Channel" on it's right. Think of the midi program number as the "Patch/Channel" number, and the "Preset" number as the program that you want to MAP to - just like in the Marshall.

For example, lets say that you want to have program 1 call up patch 45, do the following on the Triaxis;

1. Select Patch/Channel #1
2. Select Preset #45
3. Save
4. Now each time you send program Nbr 1, you'll get patch nbr 45 - just the way the Marshall would.

I have done this for a bunch of sounds and it works just like my trusty ol' JMP1 did.

Hope this helps, Scooter

Thanks for that Scooter. That's only half of what the JMP1 could do though. Not only could you map the incoming MIDI program number to various patch numbers within the unit, you could also map different MIDI numbers to an external effects unit. So the Triaxis is less developed in this respect. Luckily I have a Ground Control pedal now and I have worked out how to control everything from there.

I honestly don't know if Triaxis can do what you aspire (i.e. send program change MIDI commands to another MIDI-controllable unit).. However, this can be done very easily via a MIDI foot controller such as the FCB 1010.. The latter will determine the patches of both the Triaxis and your other unit by selecting the appropriate patch on your foot controller.. For example, you can set patch #1 of your foot controller to select patch #4 on the Triaxis and patch #8 on your other unit, patch #2 on your foot controller to select patch #9 on the Triaxis and patch #44 on your effects unit and so on.. In this fashion, you can have all the possible combinations of patch selection and in addition you can program cc changes for engaging an effect on and off..

faser said:
I honestly don't know if Triaxis can do what you aspire (i.e. send program change MIDI commands to another MIDI-controllable unit).. However, this can be done very easily via a MIDI foot controller such as the FCB 1010.. The latter will determine the patches of both the Triaxis and your other unit by selecting the appropriate patch on your foot controller.. For example, you can set patch #1 of your foot controller to select patch #4 on the Triaxis and patch #8 on your other unit, patch #2 on your foot controller to select patch #9 on the Triaxis and patch #44 on your effects unit and so on.. In this fashion, you can have all the possible combinations of patch selection and in addition you can program cc changes for engaging an effect on and off..
I can do all that with the Ground Control pedal now. It has also been established that the Triaxis can't send different program numbers to another MIDI device. I just want to save people the time of trying to help me now that I have it all sorted out. Thanks to all for your efforts :D

The G-Major has simple MIDI Mapping features built in. So just send whatever's easiest from your Triaxis or foot controller and do the mapping in the G-Major.

Latest posts

Back