How to get this tone out of my Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pie4peace

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to find a new lead/rhythm 2 sound again, and I found this sound of Bryan Adams 'Kids Wanna rock'... It sounds great! I'm pretty sure the lead guitarist doesn't have a Mesa but usually I can get close to most of the other sounds. Here's a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYi2lqG2u9I

Does anyone know any tone settings like this sound, for a Mark IV A combo, without cab, with a fender plugged in it? (with bridge hummer) GEQ is appreciated too I don't know if I better use rhythm 2 or lead for this one, it's kinda bluesy though but still raw...

Grtz

That sound is a classic rock staple: maple neck Stratocaser with single coils in pickup position 2 (out of phase) running into a Tube Screamer du jour (take your pick - there are many good ones on the market) into a cranked tube amp on the verge of distortion. Try channel 1.

Well, the vid clearly shows the lead guitarist (Keith Scott?) playing through a Marshall half-stack, likely a 1959 100 watt model.
Without any external OD pedals, you could start with a cranked R2. That's always been considered the Boogie version of the "Marshall sound". Maybe EL-34s in the outer sockets, Class A, triode, harmonics to taste. Scooping the Graphic EQ will simulate a4 x 12 cab, but too much bass added with the tone control will make the sound flubby and less tight-sounding.
FWIW, a lot of the sounds on Bryan Adams recordings are Scholz Rockman headphone practice amps, very 70s "classic rock", non-recto, non-thump-a-thumpa-palm-muting, high mids heavy Marshally distortion. Go Retro!

Back