How to get a good 7 string metal tone...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I like Mark IV mode, but my low B gets lost.

Any 7 stringers out there with some ideas?

I have good results with this setting:

EDGE mode

gain: 5:00h
master:5:00h
presence:7:00h

treble: 7:00h
middle: 7:00h
bass: 7:00h

...silly eq setting, I know

loop "on" - send level at noon or less

EQ "on" - preset depth poti - somewhere between 9:00h and 5:00h should work

or

Lesterpauls MKI setting (the one, that was copied a few times in the OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD).

Hendog said:
I like Mark IV mode, but my low B gets lost.

Any 7 stringers out there with some ideas?
Switching to EL34 tubes changed everything for me.Assuming you have tried this man you just gotta feel around hehe.I still keep putting too much bass in myself.And its hard not to wanna push the presence...Sorry for no real answer.But I play sevenstrings only here for the last 10 years or so...and certainly since I have that amp.Still using mark4 mode-bright switch (not activated)gain at about 3..
bass 10
treble 11
pres 12
mid 8 or 9
Tight as dick's hatband and really starts to scream when you push it.Having said that...I dont mess with the lower wattage options.Just spent more than I care to admit on an addition at my house...so its 90 watts.And usually as loud as I can stand it.All numbers represent Of the clock hehe.Forgot to mention using the 5 band in standard V format with the treble just a bit below the belt.
Assuming you play hard stuff...hope this helps maaayne

what pickups are you useing? my band only uses 7 strings dropped and the mark iv mode is the only mode ill use for my lead. What i find is lower ur bass to about 9 oclock and set ur treb and pres at about 1 or 2 then use ur geq to bring in ur tone but i have bone crushing tone in my lead also in my crunch channel wit hthe gain dimed and such lol.

Don't know why you'd want to lower the wattage of the amp when you're increasing the frequency range of the instrument you're using.

i'd go extreme/pentode myself. As much power as you can get.

CH3 - Extreme - Triode

Gain at Noon
Bass at 11 o'clock
Mid at 12 o'clock
Treble at 2 o'clock
Presence at 10 o'clock

CH3 - Mark IIC+ - Triode or Pentode

Gain at 3 o'clock
Bass at 11 o'clock
Mid at 2 o'clock
Treble at 1 o'clock
Presence at 9 o'clock