How to get a fatter lead tone on my Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papersoul

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 2001 3 channel Dual Rec that has been modified by BFG Amplification to sound more like a Marshall. Truth is, it sounds like a Mesa blended with a Marshall. Amazing amp.

Regardless, one thing I have always struggled with is a solo tone on a Rectifier. Rhythm sounds huge, but leads can be thin. By comparison, my Bogner excels at both. I wish Mesa used a solo boost like the Bogner's which adds gain, mids and volume.

Maxon OD-808? TS-9? Way Huge Green Rhino? Xotic BB?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I would also suggest to use a Trad/Stiletto cab instead of the Standard oversized one. Buy one, you'll never regret it.

SonVolt said:
TS9 and delay. It's still never going to give you a liquid lead tone of a Mark.

Very true. Keep in mind, this one is modified and is very different from a stock DR. This is hands down the best DR I have heard or owned. I am just trying to find a pedal that will give me some fatter, thicker solo tones. Maybe the Green Rhino, OD-808, or BB MB will knock it out of the park. :)

I have also been using my custom graphic EQ in the loop which helps and then the Sonic Edge J&J OD up front (best overdrive ever!). You guys should look into this mod, BFG nailed it! You won't find a better sounding Rectifier.

Cabs are Splawn 412 with Greenbacks and Lynchbacks and sounds INCREDIBLE, Bogner 212OS with V30s and Stone Age 212C with G12K-100s. :)
I have been playing mostly 212 cabs now, since I am tired of 412 cabs and have gone back to Fender, G&L and Gibson (sold all my PRS except one CE-22).

I don't know what modifications BFG has made to your Recto so this could be already implemented. But anyhow, add jumpers on three 100 ohm resistors placed next to the cathode bypass caps on the preamp circuit. This takes the preamp a step closer to SLO 100/ early rectifier circuit. I feel it changed the feel of my amp quite a lot. Single note sounds have more fuller mids and therefore sound a bit fatter. The amp also gained a better attack.

The pre-500 tone topic has this mod covered pretty extensively.

Why would you buy a dual rec and have it modified to sound like a Marshall? Why didn't you just buy one of many different model Marshalls? Makes no sense to me at all.

Just recently swapped out V30's for EVM12L's, my 2 channel dual rec is untouchable now.

Good luck in your tone quest.

mesaboogie6L6 said:
Why would you buy a dual rec and have it modified to sound like a Marshall? Why didn't you just buy one of many different model Marshalls? Makes no sense to me at all.

Just recently swapped out V30's for EVM12L's, my 2 channel dual rec is untouchable now.

Good luck in your tone quest.

Because it retains a ton of Rectifier character. It sounds like the perfect Marshall/Mesa marriage. One of the best sounding amps I have owned in 30 years. :)

I have DR with EL34's that sounds very "Marshall" (IMO).
I tried different settings for months, trying to get a good lead tone, tighter gain, more sustain ... nothing worked.
The amp sounded GREAT but leads were just lacking something.
Then I bought a TS9.

With the gain set on zero, tone at 12:00, and the level maxed out, the TS9 tightens the gain, adds sustain, and still maintains the tone of the amp.
It's totally transparent (to my ears).

I occasionally use a ts-808 reissue in front of my DR TOV for a boost, level@max,overdrive@9:00(third dot) tone@9:00-10:00ish never much more on this control. sounds great but it certainly doesn't add any lows what so ever, infact it really keeps it pretty maxed on the mids and can get a bit to harsh on the highs if I don't keep the tone control down...but I play my clean channel kind of pushed where it is clean but gets a little breakup if I play harder so if I add the TS to this it give me a nice medium gain sound for rythem and some lo gain lead tones, then I even run it in front of my red channel (on blues voicing) and it really gives it a nice push lots of really usable harmonics, can get noisy as I play all guitars with p90s but it's worth it, just don't stop playing while on red channel with TS on....especially if playing near any electronics that make it worse or clubs with crappy power

Fatter lead tone generally = MORE MIDS. To that end I suggest something like the Fromel Shape EQ in the FX loop (after dirt, before modulation). It's a semi-parametric that has a sweepable mid frequency knob and a level adjustment. Although it's a unity gain pedal, there is a significant increase in perceived volume when the right frequency is boosted. While it's not as comprehensive as something like the Empress ParaQ, the Fromel is a great tone shaping tool that's very intuitive and user friendly; perfect for quick adjustment on the fly in a live setting.

I'll also suggest the Mesa Grid Slammer pedal. I've got one out front, and I use it mostly as a third channel OD option with the gain all the way down and the level all the way up. It adds a nice mid hump like a TS.

If you have a dedicated lead channel then run the mids on full and the treble on zero. Bass and presence to taste.

If you don't have a dedicated lead channel then boost one of the rhythm channels with a tubescreamer.

Thanks guys. I think I will skip the Mesa Boogie pedals because there are already too many OD and TS pedals, and I am going to stick with my Sonic Edge, Xotic, Way Huge and Maxon pedals out front, along with the built in boosts and my modified EQ in the loop. Thanks guys. :)

SonVolt said:
TS9 and delay. It's still never going to give you a liquid lead tone of a Mark.

Since my Rectifier is modified, it has mids somewhere between Mesa and Marshall land, still retains a lot of Mesa Rectifier mids which is fine, I want my amps to sound and feel different. That said, it will be more enjoyable with the right pedal, maybe a mid boost pedal like the Fulltone Secret Frequency pedal or Suhr Koko Boost. Or, just a tube screamer like an Ibanez TS-9, Maxon OD-808, Way Huge Green Rhino, Cusack Screamer or Xotic AC Boost. Any thoughts on tube screamers other than the OD-808?

I have and have tried both the TS-808 Tube Screamer and Fulltone OCD....the Fulltone sounds 10 times better then the TS-808 with my Mesa DR Tremoverb....so I would consider giving that pedal a try to fatten up your lead tone....I also use a Fulltone Fatboost FB-3 to give my solo's a little extra kick.

....and just to mention one more thing I feel a delay pedal is also going to help you fatten up those solo's....I use a Boss DD-6....works great and doesn't break the bank....and if I need to add a little more flavor I use a EH Electric Mistress Deluxe for some flange and chorus.

Mesa's are great amps but when it comes to solo's a few pedals can make a world of difference....well that's my opinion anyway. 8)

jjmmesa said:
I have and have tried both the TS-808 Tube Screamer and Fulltone OCD....the Fulltone sounds 10 times better then the TS-808 with my Mesa DR Tremoverb....so I would consider giving that pedal a try to fatten up your lead tone....I also use a Fulltone Fatboost FB-3 to give my solo's a little extra kick.

....and just to mention one more thing I feel a delay pedal is also going to help you fatten up those solo's....I use a Boss DD-6....works great and doesn't break the bank....and if I need to add a little more flavor I use a EH Electric Mistress Deluxe for some flange and chorus.

Mesa's are great amps but when it comes to solo's a few pedals can make a world of difference....well that's my opinion anyway. 8)

I thought the OCD was more of an amp tone, straight into a clean amp? Also, it doesn't have a lot of mids? What is the HP-LP switch?

For an OD pedal, not much beats the Sonic Edge J&J.

I also use delay and reverb in the loop. TC Electronics Hall of Fame and MXR Carbon Copy.

Dino. said:
I have DR with EL34's that sounds very "Marshall" (IMO).
I tried different settings for months, trying to get a good lead tone, tighter gain, more sustain ... nothing worked.
The amp sounded GREAT but leads were just lacking something.
Then I bought a TS9.

With the gain set on zero, tone at 12:00, and the level maxed out, the TS9 tightens the gain, adds sustain, and still maintains the tone of the amp.
It's totally transparent (to my ears).

So you bought a stock TS-9?

Don't get me wrong guys, this amp still sounds a lot like a Rectifier. Many people don't even notice it is modified so I think I am exaggerating. Same old Rectifier story, lacks the juicy mids for leads. So I don't jam or gig a lot with this amp. Maybe I sell it for a MarkV, but I prefer the huge rhythm tones of the Mesa Rectifier. I am trying a Green Rhino and going to get an OD808 since that seems to be the number one choice with DRs. Oh, also the Xotic BB!

I also have an EQ in the loop so I have been using that but it doesn't add saturation.

I could also set one channel for leads only but that is limiting, since it is nice having one channel for low gain and one for high.
If I keep one channel for rhythm, I can just use my volume fr changing gain levels.

If I can't get it gig ready, I may have to sell for a Bogner XTC or SigX.

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back