how to find bad tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedlebaron

Reaction score
Hi all! new member here. i havnt had much luck with the search so hopfully this hasnt been covered too much. im going to assume it has tho so be gentle lol. anyways, ive owned my duel recto solo head for alittle over two years. i know one of the recto tubes is junk (doesnt light up) and i think one of the tubes is buzzing. could be the bad recto tube. my questions are

1. what kind of sound diff is there by not having both recto tubes working

2. should i be picky about brand when replacing. will i have to worrie about diff tone for diff tubes?

3. and would it be a good idea to change out all the tubes? is it something id have to send out or are these heads plug and play?

thanks for any help!
corey

If you have had the amp for two years without changing tubes it is definitely time to do so. Just change out the power tubes at first. There are a few good online tube dealers that the other guys will help you out with. Mesa tubes are safe for the amp but better tone can be had with different tubes that are also safe just a bit hotter.

boostedlebaron said:
Hi all! new member here. i havnt had much luck with the search so hopfully this hasnt been covered too much. im going to assume it has tho so be gentle lol. anyways, ive owned my duel recto solo head for alittle over two years. i know one of the recto tubes is junk (doesnt light up) and i think one of the tubes is buzzing. could be the bad recto tube. my questions are

1. what kind of sound diff is there by not having both recto tubes working

2. should i be picky about brand when replacing. will i have to worrie about diff tone for diff tubes?

3. and would it be a good idea to change out all the tubes? is it something id have to send out or are these heads plug and play?

thanks for any help!
corey

Hello Corey, and Welcome!

1. As far as a sound difference between 1 or 2 rectifier tubes working, it is more of a dynamic thing with how the amp reacts to your playing. At STAGE volume, one rectifier tube is not going to be able to quickly put up the voltage 4 6L6's will be looking for, making the amp 'sag' or compress, with the feeling of increased sustain at the cost of punch and immediacy. I don't think it will hurt the amp, but it's going to put some hurt on the rectifier tube. Of course none of that really matters if you are always playing on the Silicon Diode setting.
You need the amp to be at moderate to loud volumes to really notice this.

2. What do you have now for power-tubes? If they are Mesa's, and you liked how the amp used to sound, you can buy Mesa replacements and you are all set (plug and play). Yes there are other IMO 'better' options, I use the SED =C= SV6L6GC, and a reputable dealer can get you the correct range of tube to work perfectly (plug and play) in your Boogie, usually saving some ca$h as well. There is alot of good advise about this on The Board :wink:

3. Seeing the amp is 2 years old, I recommend you start with the Rectifier Tubes IF YOU USE THEM. If you are always using the Silicon Diode mode you can skip them for now. I advise you just change them now if you can swing it. Any 5U4GB will work.
Next, change those Power Tubes. You can get some good recommendations here if you desribe your rig and the type of music you play. Start a new topic in the 'Tubes' section. Also, I recommend you change the Phase Inverter tube - V5 - with the Power Tubes. V5 is the last preamp (small 12AX7) tube, counting from the tube closest to the input jack (from the back of the amp count left to right).
If the amp is not making any funny noises (whooshing sounds like the ocean, random clicks/pops, metallic ringing etc.) then the rest of the preamp tubes are fine, and can be changed later if you like, once the output section is at 100%.

Do educate yourself on the operation of a tube amp. You don't need to be an engineer, but basic uderstanding of how the amp operates (bias, gain stages, plate voltages, etc.) can really help, especially if you need to troubleshoot a problem with your amp.

Read through some of the posts in the Tubes section of the forum. Google anything you don't understand, and don't be afraid to roll out your Q's. There is alot of good advise on this Board.

Good Luck!

Dom

thanks guys for the help! ill def snoop around the tube room. i didnt even see it. ive been playing on the diode selection ever since i saw the bad recto tube. i play mostly metal, hard rock and recently got a new guitar (epiphone prophecy). it has emg's in it and not sure if its the amp of the pick ups but it just doesnt sound livley by any means. thats comparing it to my other sg thats got realy fat tone (57 classic plus and angus sig pick up's). id def love to change the tubes out w/ something diff so ill swing over to the tube section and ask. any one have any good sites that give some good recto advice?

thanks again!
corey

I had a bad rectifier tube in my triple rect (5u4gb). the tube wouldn't warm up on standby or light up. and it arc'ed a couple of times on power up. this in turn blew a fuse. rectifier tubes should last a long time compared to power tubes. just replace it with the same type and be on your way.

one way to find a bad tube is to tapp it with a wooden stick, amp on, out of stand by, remove the chord, a bad tube will go microphonic, so it will make a loud pop when its hit, with power tubes they need to be matched pairs, so replace both power tubes when they go bad the preamp tubes can be replaced individually when they go bad.

Latest posts

Back