How to break in new speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also heard of people running sound sources like the radio through speakers all day at a good volume level while they're at work to help speed the process, although this isn't practical for everyone. There's no way around the fact that the moving parts need hours of some kind of exercise to become broken in.

I just saaw this on the Celestion web site:

"How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time."

i feel the most accurate way to break in a speaker would be to run pink noise through it

a sound wave of equal loudness across the full 20hz to 20khz human hearing spectrum, even tho theres no way the guitar speaker (being lo fi as all hell) could replicate all these frequencies it will cover all the ones you need to hear, also if you are looking to "settle in the cone" its actually possible to buy a device that generates frequencies below 20 hz, and its interesting if you run a sine wave through at about 10 hz youll see the speaker move in an extremely weird way, very slow vibration back and forth (compression and rarefaction)

so A. pink noise
B. generating tones below 20hz would definetly "loosen up and settle in the cone"

tele_jas said:
Plug your iPod in to the amp and play some Rap music thorugh it :shock: :shock:

And then hopefully be able to leave the house for a while. :roll:

Koprofag said:
so A. pink noise
B. generating tones below 20hz would definetly "loosen up and settle in the cone"
i have some follow-up questions, if you don't mind.
- would it be alright if i generated pink noise (or a low frequency signal) in sound forge or similar and lined it straight to the speaker cabinet via a mixing desk?
- how loud and for how long?
- will a 10 Hz signal still be generated through a cheaper mixing desk and crappy cables or does it have to come straight from the source, i.e. some high-end oscillator?
thanks.
Being that the speakers are Celestion I would say to hell with the pink noise idea since it has so very little to do with actual guitar signals anyway, and go with the above directions from "cnumb44" which do in fact come directly from the Celestion website and it doesn't require a pink noise generator ( which IMO is just overkill).

I thought "breaking in" speakers was just a fallacy.

I built my own enclosures and I was able to scrounge around used guitar shops and accumulate 4-Vintage 30s. Two were almost brand new, played less than a week according to dealer. Anyway, I built a 4x12" and at first the enclosures sound a bit tight, splatty, farty. 4 month later, it sounded sweet and a loose but smooth bottom end.

Anyway, my friend wanted a 4x12" and bought 4-12" Vintage 30s. I gave him my 4x12" and place his 4 brand spanking new -Vintage 30s. Later, he moved and told me to hold 4x12" for the meantime. He told me he actually rarely plays the enclosures.

Anyway, back at home, I played the 4x12" with his brand new Celestion, there was the familiar splatty sound of brand new speakers.

So speakers do need breaking in. Or you could buy Weber's where they put less doping on the speakers.

By the way, these were all Iswitch, Made in England Celestions.

Latest posts

Back