How should use my effects? In the loop or not?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingster911 said:
ok now i need u to elaborate on that for me in the wanting full juice out of the amp department. theres no volume on the phase, just the one knob. i have a maxon ad999 before it and the actual level on there i think sets volumes sorta but it also effects how much delay there is. someone come to my house n set it up for me! :roll:

if you send me the plane ticket i'll be there in maybe 10-12 hours . . . :wink:

Im a new Mesa handler myself ROADKING 1/2 stack

I am discovering the Road king effects loop. I have the following as fx

In loop 1, Hughes & Kettner replex tape delay sim

In the front, Budda wah and Analogman Bi Chorus.

The Replex has a tube inside which was recently replaced but I have to set it lower than usual (since it has gain and output knobs with 300 volts of power or so) So are there any ther options for delay? Cause I get a slightly muddier tone when the pedal is in use compared to my Rivera KH 55.

Any suggestions?

mlockett said:
Modulation effects will tend to get muddy if they go thru the pre, so in most cases you'd want them in the loop.

A delay or verb before the preamp will have an unnatural decay; the overdriven preamp will boost the volume and thin the tone where the desired effect is usually a gradual fade-out.

I prefer the wah before the loop, because it makes it more subtle (just like the built-in EQ controls have less effect when the drive is turned up). Obviously it's a matter of taste.

Another consideration (depending on your amp) is series, vs parallel. Your loop may be parallel, but unless you've made an extra effort, pedals before the pre will be in series. A compressor in series will have a much different effect than in parallel; usually people want a comp in series (yes, I know there are exceptions); a verb is often nice in parallel. In short, if you want the original sound plus something (like verb), parallel is better; if you want the original sound to change (like EQing to get a Brian May effect), series is better.

YMMV

Thanks. That makes sense. The amp is an F-100 (parallel loop), and the phaser is a phase 90. Only other pedal I am using is a DD-20 (in the loop)

Back