How often do you guys use Class A on your Mark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Hero

Reaction score
This is on a Mark IV, btw.

I sometimes use it late in the evening to drop the volume, or when I'm just going for the "nastiest shredding tone" - as the manual says :wink:

Today at band practice, I realised after about an hour that I was in Class A mode, and wondered why it wasn't quite so loud or full as usual, and why my cleans were distorting.. Then it clicked - I didn't have my latching switch for the Class A/Simul-Class jack, and it was in class A.

Still sounded good, just less headroom etc.

Just curious how often you guys use it? Anyone use it for gigging?

I use it everytime whether I'm playing by myself or with my band. I probably only tried Simul-Class just twice. I just stuck with Class A and I will probably keep using it.

Edit: Oh Randomhero what's up lol. I will send you a PM soon on how my G-Major is set. I think it might be fine now but I'll double check.

I like it a lot. I use it 60% of the time I play with my Mark IV (along with triode setting). 8)

fpoon said:
I use it everytime whether I'm playing by myself or with my band. I probably only tried Simul-Class just twice. I just stuck with Class A and I will probably keep using it.

Edit: Oh Randomhero what's up lol. I will send you a PM soon on how my G-Major is set. I think it might be fine now but I'll double check.

No worries. If you need any help, PM me with all the details of how it's set. If it works now, cool 8)

I generally play full power because I like the clean headroom, but every now and then I get a hankering to hear the Mk IV through my Celestion Blues loaded 2-12" cab. I definately have to play on low power so as not to chance blowing up those expensive low power speakers.

i use it all the time right now (class A, pentode, full power)

i find the simul-class a little boomy on the bottom end with my open back cabs, and i still have enough headroom for my cleans (using a strat with lace sensors)

i use it for practicing, A class triode tween.. it's nice and soft not to loud..and sounds great to... i don't think i have ever used pentode/simlu.. sounds kind of strange..

eltrain858 said:
i use it all the time right now (class A, pentode, full power)

i find the simul-class a little boomy on the bottom end with my open back cabs, and i still have enough headroom for my cleans (using a strat with lace sensors)

Yeh, I was playing with Tweed and Triode for a whlie whilst we wrote some stuff, then went to Full, but forgot to move from Triode, whilst still in Class A. Maybe that explains the break up in the cleans a little.

Either way, it didn't happen in Full/Pentode/Simul :lol: So much low end too. Bass only on 2, 80 slider on the middle line.

Amp sounded incredible by the way.

I like it when using R2, Pentode, with EL34s in the Class A spot.

The closest to a vintage Marshall you can get!
(I run it Full power, vintage Marshall often ran on dangerously high voltages!)

I love class A but simul sounds much more complex if that makes sense, I tend to stick with simul but if I need low volume practice tones I'll go to class A

Platypus said:
I love class A but simul sounds much more complex if that makes sense, I tend to stick with simul but if I need low volume practice tones I'll go to class A

Absolutely. That's precisely how I would describe it - more complexity. That's why I use it most of the time, I just forgot this time :lol:

Random Hero said:
Platypus said:

Absolutely. That's precisely how I would describe it - more complexity. That's why I use it most of the time, I just forgot this time :lol:
between the bass player, drummer, and i, just the parts we're playing bring enough complexity to the table.. i find myself having to dial out a little complexity of tone to be able to hear everything clearly in the mix.. if i had more room to work with it would be a different story

For more refined, lower-volume tones I use Class A, Harmonics with either Pentode or Triode. For full-bodied metal tones I use Triode, Harmonics and Simul-class...it's the only way to ride. 8)

Latest posts

Back