how may of you guys run your mark iv on "full power&quo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman

Reaction score
I've found running it at full power makes it sound a lot fuller. I don't do it for volume purposes, tweed is still too loud. But I have found that it can sound somewhat thin and buzzy as compared to full power. Any other comments?

I actually prefer tweed. It makes leads sing better for some reason. I just found my settings easier on tweed than on full power. But then again, I like triode better than pentode and Class A better than Simul. I also prefer harmonics over mid gain.

I think that it really depends upon what you are playing (guitar and genre of music) and what you are playing through (effects and cabinets). Then where you are playing comes into play.

I have played on most settings and I usually end up back on tweed/triode/Class A/harmonics. Then again, I usually end up playing an old faithful Les Paul or a Strat plugged into the amp direct and going through a Thiele with an EVM-12L and a Greenback or V30 loaded Marshall 1960 cab.

Russ, thanks for the reply. I play a strat through a barber tone press, and a wah. I also have a holy grail in the effects loop. I don't prefer class A, but i like triode over pentode and harmonics over mid gain.

i love full power/triode/simli/harm...that get's me the most fatest chord's with the best thick lead and a nice big headroom for the clean...it sounds so nice...if i want alittle less i just flip it down to 30 watts...that to make's it alittle less full ( it take's out the bass running it at 30) unless you crank it!...i find that my strat sounds a little more fender amp like if i run it on tween and push the bright on the clean...it sounds nice..

Tom

I like Chinese.

Shep? Who's Shep?

Seriously, the MK IV is an absolute tweak machine. I tend to use triode with 6CA7's in tweed, harmonics and simul class. Mid gain, pentode and simul class are brutal for Metal !!! They put that amp out of control. :D

I like full power, but with a full band, I had to switch to tweed, to get my tone. At full power I couldn't play low enough. I think you have to keep the channel masters no lower then 4. if you drop those chennel masters to low, your tone goes out the window. on tweed I could get the tone and volume where I wanted it. Tweed sounded fantastic at the gig. If I have a bigger gig, I'm back to full power, for the most punch. this is what makes this amp so great IMHO.

Back