How loud is your Mesa power amp fan?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhueckel

Reaction score
I recently got a Mesa Fifty/Fifty on eBay. I works great except the fan always runs and it is pretty loud. Is this normal or is the fan wearing out? Has anybody disconnected their fan or installed a switch to turn it on and off? Has anybody installed a new fan?

Have a Mark IV, the fan is not bad but yeah it is loud enough to make me move the head off the cabinet when I record something. Don’t get me wrong the fan is not that loud but if there are any silent passages with the track (well it’s kind of there). I have thought about substituting the 110 volt fan for a 220. Same size fan spinning slower, but hopefully still enough air moving around.

When I had my 2:90 the fan was ridiculously loud.

When I first got my 2:90, I fired it up at midnight to do my usual jamming with the volume on 0.5 (you know, so low that you have to sit in front of the speakers to hear it) and my dad got out of bed and came downstairs and was like "turn that crap off, I can hear that fan upstairs. sounds like a fackin lawnmower."

I'm not sure how old my 2:90 was, so maybe they put in quieter motors on the newer models.

Depends how close your ear is to the speaker...

The fan in my Simul-Satellite is pretty quiet. And by quiet I mean loud.

The hum from my stomp boxes is much more annoying. If you are going to record with the amp, I would disconnect the fan if you can hear it through headphones when not playing or if you are going to rear-mic the amp.

That fan is there for a reason. Unless you have a well ventilated rack then i wouldn't do it. If the fan is too loud then you are playing too soft which means you probably aren't even using the power amp in the slightest and may be better off with a cheap solid state amp or modeling amp.

Greg

I can't hear it while playing.But it is noisey while idling ,i don't gig it,the amps are in my hifi rack in my living room.
mygear.jpg

I can only hear the fan in my 2:100 when it's quiet in the room. but as fans go, I say it's louder than most PC type fans, which they seem to be of about the same size. But, for me, it does not seem to contribute to speaker hiss. In fact, when I plugged in my 5150 to compare, the speaker hiss from the fiddy was louder than the fan in the 2:100.

Latest posts

Back