How long before>>>>>>>>

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosasi

Reaction score
I've noticed my amps sound better after warming up a bit. I typically turn on the power, wait 30 seconds, flip the standby to on and play. After say 30 minutes I notice the amp really starts to sound better. It can't be my playing because that's consistently average.

Is it possible that the amp sounds better as it warms up? I'm not sure if it is just my imagination or if there is some technical explanation.

Thanks

It sure is possible! I remember one time I forgot to turn my amp off between sound check and performance - about 3 hours - it sounded KILLER! I was shocked and amazed! I can't explain the phenomenon or the physics. It just seems to be true.

But, from what I understand, it is NOT good for your amp, even though it sounds ah-soooooooo niyece!

Lil' warmup - good.
Being an idiot who leaves his amp on all day - not so good.

I usually let my amp warm up for about 5-10 mins before flipping standby off. If I only do it for a minute it doesn't sound as good (to my ears at least).

I know 5 mins is a long time to wait!! But usually the first thing I do when I walk in the room if turn the power on. Then I take my time setting up everything else, and its usually already 5 mins.

The bias of the amp doesn't set until 3-4 hours. Tech needs 3 hours of warm up to check if the bias is properly set.

Also, the speaker, if new, needs some time to warm up.

camsna said:
It sure is possible! I remember one time I forgot to turn my amp off between sound check and performance - about 3 hours - it sounded KILLER! I was shocked and amazed! I can't explain the phenomenon or the physics. It just seems to be true.

But, from what I understand, it is NOT good for your amp, even though it sounds ah-soooooooo niyece!

Lil' warmup - good.
Being an idiot who leaves his amp on all day - not so good.

If I'm in all day, or jamming with the band for a long amount of time, I'll leave my amp on most of the day. If it's in standby it's not doing any harm at all.

My friend that is a Boogie fiend lets all his amps warm up for at least 30 minutes before flipping stand by.

I always get to the gig at least 24 hours in advance in order to let the amp pre-warm up.
I take the amp off standby for exactly 45 minutes every hour to simulate actual gig conditions.
I then change all the tubes at precisely 18 hours to let the new tube complement burn-in for the remaining time. After the gig, I re-solder all the connections so I'll be ready for the next gig.
Don't you?
It's time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner...

MrMarkIII said:
I always get to the gig at least 24 hours in advance in order to let the amp pre-warm up.
I take the amp off standby for exactly 45 minutes every hour to simulate actual gig conditions.
I then change all the tubes at precisely 18 hours to let the new tube complement burn-in for the remaining time. After the gig, I re-solder all the connections so I'll be ready for the next gig.
Don't you?
It's time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner, time for Judge Wapner...

LOL!!!
K-Mart Sucks. :D

Edward

MrMarkIII said:
Don't you?
:lol: wtf?

bryan_kilco said:
MrMarkIII said:
Don't you?
:lol: wtf?
I think he's making a reference to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
If I left my Mark IV on standby between sound check and gig (bout 3 hours) is that bad for the amp? Like what camsna said?

Not bad at all! Tubes suffer from heating/cooling cycles but not from being heated long periods.

Mark Samson, founder of Matchless now makes his own amps, claims that quartet of EL84 Class A power section (using Class A loosely :wink: ) sounds best after 30 minutes after it has been turned on. Likely this apply to any guitar tube amps.

But one member here claimed that his amp does not sound as good AFTER the 30 minutes. I think this person is more into preamp gain and clean sterile headroom power section.

Latest posts

Back