How does the Single Recto compare to the Dual

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMarchant

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to add a Recto to my rig. I'm using a Stiletto Deuce for the crunch in CH1 and lead tones in Ch2. The Lone Star for clean Ch1 and just a bit of grit from channel two. I'm looking to add a higher gain amp in the mix as well to blend with the Deuce. Was looking at the Dual Recto, but noticed a few Single Rectos for sale around $800. Can the Single Recto get the same type of heavy sound for stuff like STP and Creed as the Dual. I dont need the clean sound from it. Its the high gain tone I'm after. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bmarchant

it can get very distorted but every time i try them i find that the sound is a little too sharp for me. While i feel that the duel and triple are better amps the single will deliver on the distorted rythem tones.

I have had a triple rec, single rec and now my roadkingII, there has been differences with every one of them. The single rec definitely has the recto growl, to my ears it did not have the low end the dual and triple has. Even when i run my roadking in 50watt mode vs the 100 watt mode, which is identical to the single and dual the difference is that the 50watts breaks up earlier and i get more saturation at lower volumes, but i lose some low end thump compared to the 100watts. Hope that helps. My opinion the dual and triple recs are obsolete because of the roadster. The roadster is two hundred dollars more and you get a world of a better amp.

With that rig I'm going out on a limb and betting your a gigging musician. I'm going to go against some of my more recent posts and say get the Dual. I think it will complement that Duece well. Don't be in any big hurry and you'll find a Dual for $900-1000. Since you have all of your other tones covered I'd suggest a two channel and run one channel vintage and the other modern.

I hope you throw your roadies plenty of chicks as that's on hell of rig to lug around!

I used to have a Rectoverb (single rec with reverb)

It was a cool amp. I agree that it didnt seem to have the low end of a dual or triple rec...which is actually why I bought it. Since I like hearing the power section work I also feel the lower wattage was a good thing.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advise. Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear, a good breakdown of the two. Guess I was hoping to get out of it cheep by going with the Single. The bottom end has to be big and tight, so it sounds like the Dual Rect or Roadster is the way to go. I've been able to play through a few Duals, just couldnt find a Single Rect to try out. I'm thinking the Deuce will mix great with them.

Thanks again,

Bmarchant

AustinK said:
i find that the sound is a little too sharp for me.

There is a resistor that you can snip on the single that will cut down some of the highs, but I have no idea where to find it now. I had a pic of it on my old computer, but it's gone now.

just got a rectoverb.it´s awesome and not so "flobby" as the dual. it is much tighter and yet aggresive. it plays loud as ....and you will cut through. it has a looootttssss of low end it´s a eq thing and also depends if you are using the right cab. I recommend a cab with v30 celestion speakers

I've got a single Recto and beleive me, there's plenty of bottom end. It sounds good hooked up to my Framus 2x12 with V30s but even more amazing with the Mesa Standard 4x12 recto cab I just picked up. Thundering lows, especially with drop-tuned riffs! :D

Back